Sponsored by:

996 in the mountains?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I'm not a motorcycle guy, but I can tell you this: a 996 is a blast in the mountains. I take the back roads whenever I get a chance so that I can get into the twisties.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I personally don't think that driving your 996 with your rider friends would be a long term affair, unless your 996 is a Ducati. When I used to ride sport bikes when I lived in CA, I tended to hang only with fellow sport bike riders motorcyclists. In fact, it was even rare to ride even with non-sport bike i.e. cruiser types. When it was time to drive my P cars, I only tended to hang with other P car or other car enthusiasts whether on track or street roads.

Having said this, I think you still would enjoy cruising the twisties in your 996 especially without a helmet. It could be more relaxing and enjoyable especially while cruising with somebody else in the passenger side. I keep a convertible even in PNW area for precisely such times.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
breakdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone,

Yeah, it's tough to say if I'll keep crusing with the same guys. I was mainly just wondering because my favorite roads are populated by motorcycles throughout the summer. I'm hoping that as I'm crusing these roads, I won't get destroyed too badly by the sport bikes.

One of the big draws to a carrera cabriolet was the top down experience without the helmet and leather suit. Often times, in the summer, it's just too hot to comfortably ride. I'm also looking forward to being able to bring my girlfriend along with me.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by breakdown
Hey guys,

I'm shopping around right now for a 996 coupe or cabrio (not the point of this post!) and I'm just wondering how it will compare to a motorcycle?

The reason I ask this is because I just sold my Ducati 848 to help fund the Porsche purchase. I love carving down the backroads on my bike. I sold my bike because I wanted something that can double as a toy and a daily driver.

I used to ride with a group of guys and we'd blast down mountain roads. I'm hoping that once I get the car, I can still go out with them and be able to hang. Some have even suggested that the car might be faster than the bikes down the mountain roads.

What do you guys think?
Off camber isn't going to be as spooky if it surprises you.
You had better worry just as much in the 911 about gravel in turns if you are on a fast pace.

Was riding the rocket below last night and I appreciate the videos selling cars as just as fast as a literbike but thankfully I didn't have a mouth full of liquids or I'd be cussing about joke videos. The first video is cold tires and an R1 rider just following to make video "I hope". He could of learned to be in the lower gears and twist the throttle. But then it is extremely evident he was just playing around being a literbike rider myself. The second video is a car show with the characters from a country that doesn't make a good sportbike. Real world real roads the 911 is toast. Real track the 911 has a chance if it can make its self a road block which it is good at with bikes. But one opening and the car is way behind at least in literbikes.

Just be happy to carry any stuff the guys on bikes might want and take the tickets for them since yes you will be slower than guys on bikes if they have there stuff together.

Oh yah, the day after I took ownership of the 996 I had my *** handed to me by a guy on his bike with girlfriend. He was nice enough to slow down and hand it to me again.

Tell your frieds to make sure to get some california superbikes school in to make themselves safer and faster at the same time.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 996 in the mountains?