Sponsored by:

Sprint Booster installed - initial impressions in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I got rid of the dead spot off idle when I did my Revo flash.
Bruce, please remind some of us what the Revo flash is. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
SprintBooster
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
Someone should take a video of the booster in action!!
Unfortunately r1de23, its not something that you can pick up in a video its something that you will full grasp once you install the product. You can ask just about anyone who owns a Sprint Booster. Once you step on the gas, there is no doubt in your mind something is different and you will really start to enjoy your vehicle again.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
on the street sprint booster set to hi.... eg, stop and go traffic, the throttle is too sensitive at initial touch of the pedal... the car takes off, so you back off, but slows down to much, back on the throttle, car takes off....etc. then the car starts to oscillate.... in other words, hi setting in traffic makes smooth driving difficult. No big deal though, just shut the booster off to use factory settings. When the car is moving @25mph, hi setting is just fine... ideal on the track IMO.
There are 3 settings on my unit: off, green and red. Green is what I use 90% of the time and I don't find that the throttle is too sensitive at all in the city. Red is definitely more "hair-trigger" and I only use it at the track. I've had the unit off (factory throttle) maybe twice since I installed the unit in Sept; both times it was because the roads were very slippery and I wanted a little more give when I pressed the throttle.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickker
Bruce, please remind some of us what the Revo flash is. Thanks.
I think they used to call it "chipping".

A bunch of companies offer rewritten ECU maps. GIAC used to be the favoured brand around here. Essentially, programmers tweak the timing and fuel/air across the range of throttle positions from what the factory decided they should be. The new maps are loaded into the ECU via the car's OBD port. Usually, it's possible to pick up a few low-hanging horsepower this way by removing some of the margin of safety the factory built in for fuel quality and variable octane levels, and by deviating from the settings required to meet the EPA's urban drive cycle standards. The better ones can also change the way the engine responds to throttle (by which I don't mean throttle response) by how they manage fuelling, and my experience was that this helped my e-gas 'flat spot'.

Most people find this upgrade expensive or even a waste of money, considering that the butt dyno ROI is pretty negligible. It tends to attract a lot of debate of the "why do they think they're smarter than Porsche?" variety (which is silly. Porsche isn't stupid, they just have to deal with a lot of liability, regulatory and warranty exposure issues that a tuner doesn't). I chose mine to get the most out of my other engine mods - CAI, plenum and exhaust - which most people think is a reasonable excuse to get it done.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, wanted to chime in here. We have done a ton of ecu maps and sprint booster installs. Typically, someone does one or the other to begin with and then ends up doing both. They compliment each other well. The car is much more fun to drive adding the Sprint Booster and on Turbos, gets a ton more power reflashing the ECU.

We offer money back guarantees on both products so that you can try it out in confidence knowing it can be returned. However, be careful if you are not ready to spend the money because we have not yet un-chipped a car or removed a Sprint Booster

IMHO, the Sprint Booster is a more noticable upgrade and is half the price of an ECU remap.

Stephen
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP Performance
IMHO, the Sprint Booster is a more noticable upgrade and is half the price of an ECU remap.
There is no doubt in my mind that it's more noticeable. I just didn't personally think it was more useful.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just returned home and it's sitting on my desk in a small box. Will try to get in on tonight or tomorrow and provide feedback.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impressions on post #1.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

why not simply push the pedal harder and faster.

does the same thing, and its free.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fwiw, I installed the Sprint Booster on my '03 996 C2 MT yesterday. Yes, I can feel the more aggressive throttle mapping. My early, lighter weight, manually fuel injected 911 seemed eager to accelerate. The 996 merely seems willing. Will try to spend more time out on some back roads to see if I get any of that earlier sense of eagerness again with the SB.

I was mostly looking for better low end responsiveness for heel & toe. Often (in stock form), when I roll my foot over onto the accelerator, I get almost nothing. That changed a little -- not much. With a more aggressive throttle slope--the differences are greater, at higher throttle settings. Maybe over time I'll find a sweet spot to get the response I want.

Conclusion:
It's ok. It's easy to live without, especially at the price. I can see how some like & prefer it. But, it's hardly the amazing transformation that some have claimed.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=RF5BPilot;8357929]
I was mostly looking for better low end responsiveness for heel & toe. Often (in stock form), when I roll my foot over onto the accelerator, I get almost nothing. That changed a little -- not much. With a more aggressive throttle slope--the differences are greater, at higher throttle settings. QUOTE]

Which model did you get? there is an automatic and manual version. we sometimes interchange them to get more or less responsiveness based on the client's preferences.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

I have the "automatic version" from the first week it was available for our cars. There is a manual version?
A little jumpy cold out of the hole but throttle response is much better.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why not simply push the pedal harder and faster.

does the same thing, and its free.
I am wondering the same thing. This product cuts the pedal travel in half right? Why not just double the speed of your right foot input?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I am wondering the same thing. This product cuts the pedal travel in half right? Why not just double the speed of your right foot input?
For me, I think the biggest advantage would be in heel/toe and even so only in track conditions where it can really count.

I don't know if it's my small feet but I really hate the response I get when trying to heel/toe. I haven't yet tried using alternative adjustable pedals yet though to see if that would have any improvement.

I'm still on the fence about this product though as I don't track it enough to warrant the cost/benefit of this item.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
For me, I think the biggest advantage would be in heel/toe and even so only in track conditions where it can really count.

I don't know if it's my small feet but I really hate the response I get when trying to heel/toe. I haven't yet tried using alternative adjustable pedals yet though to see if that would have any improvement.

I'm still on the fence about this product though as I don't track it enough to warrant the cost/benefit of this item.
I only try to bring the running RPM around 1K higher going into a lower gear when heel toe as quickly as possible. Otherwise, you buck with too much/little fuel input. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster installed - initial impressions in post #1