Sponsored by:

Fidelity Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 AM
cpepper95129
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fidelity Coverage

Now that I have my Porsche, I'm thinking of getting an extended warranty and the dealer said they had one called Fidelity. It seemed to be an OK cost for the Platinum package, but wondering if anyone can recommend which level to get, or if there is another company worth looking at I'd be interested in comparing rates. The car only has 32700 miles on it, but I want peace of mind for my first 3 years of ownership. I think I'll be driving it more often than the prior owner, and likely a little harder than he did. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices....tion_plan.aspx
I have Fidelity Platinum. Thankfully, I have never used it in my 9 months of ownership. It is exclusionary. All other fidelity levels are inclusionary. I didn't see IMS, RMS, AOS, etc specifically stated in their other plans. I'd recommend only their Platinum.
My Porsche dealership also offered EasyCare but it was considerably more expensive.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Do a search on Fidelity with my screen name...you'll read about my experience with them and my IMS / Engine Replacement saga.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

reading the past thread it seems fidelity is a good warranty.

We have seen that they try to replace engine with used one with equivalent mileage but you can chip in and get a new one if you want to add the money.

Still a good investment. I talk to them directly on the phone when I purchased mine and mentioned the IMS failure and they knew about the problem and confirmed it is covered. And previous thread confirm it.

Not much feedback on the forum lately about easycare. I compared both and they look the same to me. Just that easycare website was even worst than Fidelity which already isnt' great.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in the warranty industry and as far as I know there isn't a good warranty available for Porsches. The best companies to deal with and have a warranty though do not do Porsche. The other companies that do Porsche are just not that great to deal with - especially when you have a 10K engine claim.

There isn't a plan out there that I would put on my own Porsche. There are some good plans that I wouldn't think twice about to put on my other cars though. AUL is the best out there, they just don't do Porsche.

You do want exclusionary coverage.
You will want to maintance by the book and keep all the records.
And cross your fingers and hope you never have a claim.

It will probably get covered eventually but not before a bunch of brain damage and agony that will **** off you and the shop that the car goes into, and nobody will be happy about how the car got repaired because the wont pay to do it right.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Makmov
I work in the warranty industry and as far as I know there isn't a good warranty available for Porsches. The best companies to deal with and have a warranty though do not do Porsche. The other companies that do Porsche are just not that great to deal with - especially when you have a 10K engine claim.

There isn't a plan out there that I would put on my own Porsche. There are some good plans that I wouldn't think twice about to put on my other cars though. AUL is the best out there, they just don't do Porsche.

You do want exclusionary coverage.
You will want to maintance by the book and keep all the records.
And cross your fingers and hope you never have a claim.

It will probably get covered eventually but not before a bunch of brain damage and agony that will **** off you and the shop that the car goes into, and nobody will be happy about how the car got repaired because the wont pay to do it right.

This whole post clearly says; don't waste your money on Porsche insurance. Save it and use it when needed instead. This is my route.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
cpepper95129
Advanced

yeah it's a tough call for me. I can afford it, but I never buy extended warranty's as a rule. BUT since this is a used car, which is expensive to repair, I may just take the chance this time and go for it. I think having 3 years to really know the ins and outs of my car and what problems MAY lurk will feel better.

Sounds like it's pretty much Fidelity and EasyCare. My Porsche dealer is going to give me fidelity and since the prior owner had recently brought it in, I don't even need an inspection, they will just cover me. that's a good piece of mind. I wonder though if they can be talked down in their quote? we'll see I'm pretty good at that kinda thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Ask your dealer if he would be willing to CPO the car.
I actually had that option but found out AFTER i bought the car

So basically, for about $3K (price of the aftermarket warranty) they'd have CPO'd it for me.
But because I had already bought it, the dealer would have to have bought the car from me, and I'd have to buy it AGAIN from them - and I didn't want to pay the sales tax twice so I skipped it and bought the Fidelity Warranty.

I should have done it. That extra paperwork and extra grand in sales tax - I would have recouped in the stuff Fidelity wouldn't cover, and the extra hassle and problems I've had to deal with Fidelity.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

I went with Easycare and I'm SUPER happy I did. It was in the neighborhood of $3600. So far, they've paid for ~$3800 with of work, and I still have 1.5 years and 20k miles left. For my most recent claim (coil packs, coolant tank and AOS), they dragged it out for an extra week, sending out their adjustor numerous times to inspect the work on each phase, but to me that was a small price to pay for ~2k worth of work.

The only downside of this whole warranty thing is that you have to get the scheduled service performed by a qualified shop. I'm a bit of a DIY'er and was kind of bummed that I couldn't do the 60k myself.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

So far, my Fidelity warranty has covered:

1. Rear spoiler hydraulics
2. Oil pressure sending unit
2. Headlight switch

The cost of replacing the rear spoiler hydraulics paid for the cost of the warranty and then some.

No experience replacing an engine through Fidelity, however.

I've looked into getting another Fidelity warranty before mine ends this year, but another one would cost more than I wish to pay.

Michael.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have fidelity on my 02 996 C2- bought car with 17k miles in 7/07 now has about 30k, bought Fidelity platinum from dealer shortly after buying car, fidelity paid for repairs on key remote not working, oil sender
unit, RMS replacement. it was expensive at $3800 for 6 yr 75k - hoping not
to have to use it for IMS repair.

Debating whether to get same extended coverage for wife's 07 boxster S that is coming out of warranty- but cost is very high $5k for 6 yr 100k- most likely will self insure and take a chance at that cost.

Got quote from Sunset Porsche for Fidelity warranty on boxster (they sell out of state & have no sales tax). got dealer to come down significantly from their initial quote for coverage and they almost matched Sunset price (excluding sales tax).

Quick Reply: Fidelity Coverage