Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire question: difference between pilot sport N1 and N2 ? -- now tire rubbing issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tire question: difference between pilot sport N1 and N2 ? -- now tire rubbing issue

I see tirerack has 3 types of Michelin pilot sport
- n1 -> $309
- n2 -> $371
- nothing -> $329

I also see at discoutn tires a bunch of other references..
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...35&ar=35&rd=19

... which one to choose and why
Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

High Number means Latest Revision... Means Improvements...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info on N1 N2... good to know

Ok so now I have more problem... I just mounted the wheels I just received, front tires are dead that is why I asked about the tire information, I need to buy new one.

But I have rubbing issue in the front fender liner. Here are a couple of pictures. The clean stain at the bottom show the rubbing. the clean stain a little higher was made when I turned the wheel while still on the jack stand.

So the front tire are 235/35/19 and the rims are 19x8 - offset 46

Any advice ?

- can the fender liner be pushed forward a bit ?
- would narrower tire size help ?
Attached Images     
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

I had Toyo T1R's 235/35/19 for 4 Years at Fronts, they did not Rub... I just got Perilli Rosso 235/35/19 and they Rub like yours... Every Brand of Tire, even tho its the same size, its not actuly the same size...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

No clue......tires might be too big? Are these used wheels and did they come off a 996 NB? Do you need spacers? And WTF is up with that voodoo doll in the upper right hand corner of the last pic? Like the color of your car.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

The voodoo doll is protecting the car...until next halloween, where it goes back on duty...

Those are used wheels indeed, no spacer. The wheels are nicely fitted to the car, not too outward, not too inward. I am just surprised as everybody says there is no rubbing with 235 wide tire on 19 inch wheels..

may be I'll have to go to 225 as the michelin pilot sport might be wider than others... I still wondering if I go with michelin pilot sport anyways. as those wheels are for show only, i have my set of 18 carrera sport for auto cross and such.

I might get sumitomo III instead. also I have some 295 /35 in the rear and I want to get into 295/25 to get closer to the original ratio. I love the wheels just wished they would not rub...

I cross my finger as may be installing my row-m030 will solve the rub as well.
Zookie, is your car lowered ? looks pretty low on the avatar

I see that the fender liner gets a little more curvy a few inch higher up, that might be enough, but it looks like i need a 1.4 inch clearance.

Anyone tried to push the liner using a heat gun ?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
High Number means Latest Revision... Means Improvements...
Sort of...

When Porsche manufactures a car, tire companies submit their tires to Porsche for testing. If the tire is approved as initially submitted by the tire company, it receives approval in the form of an N1 rating; the 1 signifies the version of the tire approved (the first version). If Porsche does not approve the tire, it makes recommendations to the tire company to modify the tire. If the tire company chooses to make the changes and submits the second version of the tire to Porsche and it is approved, it receives an N2 rating; the 2 meaning that the second version of the tire is approved and so on and so forth.....
The number after the N corresponds only with the version of the tire approved by Porsche.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

So I'm guessing the N0 code is for tires never submitted to Porsche??
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by awrryan
Sort of...

When Porsche manufactures a car, tire companies submit their tires to Porsche for testing. If the tire is approved as initially submitted by the tire company, it receives approval in the form of an N1 rating; the 1 signifies the version of the tire approved (the first version). If Porsche does not approve the tire, it makes recommendations to the tire company to modify the tire. If the tire company chooses to make the changes and submits the second version of the tire to Porsche and it is approved, it receives an N2 rating; the 2 meaning that the second version of the tire is approved and so on and so forth.....
The number after the N corresponds only with the version of the tire approved by Porsche.
yeaaa noooo, wrong... It means Revisions or Improvements... There are N0, N1, N2, N3, N4 for Mich Pilot Sport Cup Tires... So you are saying Porsche Dis-Approved this tire 4 times yet it was put on every GT Car... okayyyyyyyyyyy

FYI http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

"Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received the engineering department's release can be branded with an N-specification. The N-specification brandings include: N-0 (N-zero), N-1, N-2, N-3 or N-4. These markings on a tire's sidewall clearly identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles. The N-0 marking is assigned to the first approved version of a tire design. As that design is refined externally or internally, the later significant evolutions will result in a new generation of the tire to be branded with N-1, N-2, N-3, etc., in succession. When a completely new tire design is approved, it receives the N-0 branding and the succession begins again."
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Philoo, I like what you did to your headlights. Where did you get the shaded covers?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
azaytsev
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
thanks for the info on N1 N2... good to know

Ok so now I have more problem... I just mounted the wheels I just received, front tires are dead that is why I asked about the tire information, I need to buy new one.

But I have rubbing issue in the front fender liner. Here are a couple of pictures. The clean stain at the bottom show the rubbing. the clean stain a little higher was made when I turned the wheel while still on the jack stand.

So the front tire are 235/35/19 and the rims are 19x8 - offset 46

Any advice ?

- can the fender liner be pushed forward a bit ?
- would narrower tire size help ?
Love your headlight covers. Where did you get them? Are they painted? Do you have more pictures?
thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
yeaaa noooo, wrong... It means Revisions or Improvements... There are N0, N1, N2, N3, N4 for Mich Pilot Sport Cup Tires... So you are saying Porsche Dis-Approved this tire 4 times yet it was put on every GT Car... okayyyyyyyyyyy

FYI http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

"Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received the engineering department's release can be branded with an N-specification. The N-specification brandings include: N-0 (N-zero), N-1, N-2, N-3 or N-4. These markings on a tire's sidewall clearly identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles. The N-0 marking is assigned to the first approved version of a tire design. As that design is refined externally or internally, the later significant evolutions will result in a new generation of the tire to be branded with N-1, N-2, N-3, etc., in succession. When a completely new tire design is approved, it receives the N-0 branding and the succession begins again."
I was going by what I previously read in Excellence magazine. Now I'm curious: I've never seem an N0 rated tire.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

About the headlight cover, they are ebay. I think they are easy to find, simple film cut to size. A pain to install, still some bubble but too small to see unless you get your face on it. Still I manage to do it with a simple hairdryer... Once the film was on, I got audacious and decided to cut the middle of the film with a blade, following the line that is on the headlight cover. I tired to press really lightly to not mark the headlight cover itself.

If I had to do it again I might buy more expensive film that can actually protect the headlight. the ebay version are like window tint thick only. I'll try to post better later.

Anyone got idea for my tire rubbing issue
Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by awrryan
I was going by what I previously read in Excellence magazine. Now I'm curious: I've never seem an N0 rated tire.
see you learn something new everyday on Rennlist
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Good new, after a little test drive the rubbing is apparently only at almost full steering lock and doesn't seem to be a problem while driving.

Still I wish I could have no rub even at full lock, I hate to think that my car is 'limited'

Quick Reply: Tire question: difference between pilot sport N1 and N2 ? -- now tire rubbing issue