Sponsored by:

Powder coating 3 piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
C4SnNJ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powder coating 3 piece wheels

Has anyone here ever taken their 3-piece wheels apart to powder coat? There is a silicon gasket that seals the outer lip and inner hoop together. Does this need to be removed or can it withstand the heat from the powder coating process? Once the hardware is removed from the rim is there a particular torque spec. required to reassemble?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It would be prefered to disassemble and powdercoat each piece as needed. Do not powdercoat the areas thas come in contact with each other as they are usually a machined fit. Punch mark or scribe where pieces join before disassembly. Use threadlocker upon reassembly, don't over torque. Use general torque specs for the bolt size and thread and material. I'd remove the silicone bead and reapply a new bead upon reassembly, as well as a small bead glueing the pieces together.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

they need to be taken apart, a powdercoater will sand blast, or blast with something and coat them. you can reassemble them . Most wheel shops will use clear typ2 silicone on the joint , just from the inside of the joint after it is back togather, but do a perfect job so there is no leak, the normal torque for 5 or 6 mm bolts should be about 90 inch lbs, you have to convert it to ft lbs ( I think 12 to 17 lbs, I cant remember)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM
ultraman206
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done 2 sets of 3-piece wheels I've owned already... a set of HRE 840R and a set of DPE S-20. Which part of the wheel are you powdercoating? If it's just the face (center) then there is a trick where you don't even have to uninstall the tires and cut the seal. I can give you details of how to do it if this is your path.

Quick Reply: Powder coating 3 piece wheels