Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 IMS, timing chain guide, transmission pinion bearing and misc items DIY project

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
That's the plan!

I love to use my 996 as a daily driver, one of the most reliable and economical car I've ever owned.
How does it compare to your 993? I just ventured into the 996 world a couple of months ago after 8 years with the 95 993...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom,

I am the black sheep among the 993 community. Ironically Chris Walrod and I still pretty much work on lots of 993s on weekends but I for one prefer the 996. We always joke around and telling each other "Man, it would be so great to be working on all 996s, because they are so much easier to work on."

The only draw back of owning a 996 is the constant ridicule and down talk from my 993 friends.

Mechanically, handling, ease of everyday use the 996 is 100% better than the 993. Not to mention ease of repair and mechanic friendliness.

I made a decision to sell my 993 and use the 996 as an everyday driver mainly for those reasons. After all who have time to constantly deal with the maintenances, the 996 only requires 1/3 of the 993 maintenance in 1/2 of time to perform them.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest part was to press the gears and bearing off, which required a very high tonnage press. In addition you will need to fabricate plates of various size to grab on to each of the gears while they are pressed out.

You should contact Chris Walrod for details, as he did all the pressing and fitting.

Thanks
I just sent him a Private Message. Thanks for suggesting that.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Great write up. I am not a DIY'er and my car has been diagnosed with a bad piniion bearing also. The mechanic I am dealing with says it is cheaper to put in a used tranny as opposed to taking it apart and fixing it. He also says that when he removes the parts to get to the bearing " things " usually break and need replaced. Any opinions on my best course of action ?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Tom,

I am the black sheep among the 993 community. Ironically Chris Walrod and I still pretty much work on lots of 993s on weekends but I for one prefer the 996. We always joke around and telling each other "Man, it would be so great to be working on all 996s, because they are so much easier to work on."

The only draw back of owning a 996 is the constant ridicule and down talk from my 993 friends.

Mechanically, handling, ease of everyday use the 996 is 100% better than the 993. Not to mention ease of repair and mechanic friendliness.

I made a decision to sell my 993 and use the 996 as an everyday driver mainly for those reasons. After all who have time to constantly deal with the maintenances, the 996 only requires 1/3 of the 993 maintenance in 1/2 of time to perform them.
Great comments, Robin. It is interesting how much crap 996 owners take from 993 owners... I have to admit I was skeptical about buying a 996, but I am really surprised about the quality, performance and the drivability. My C4 cab is a daily driver as well. It is a MUCH better DD than the 993. I really love the car and all of its fantastic engineering.

On the other hand, if I were to have a garage queen, it would be a 993. ...Unless, of course, I could afford a 996 gt3!

I actually wasn't looking for a 996- it just fell into my lap. The cab is great- I actually had the top down today in the 43 degree sunshine!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Robin, great DIY. I have tackled a T-10 rebuild in the past but this looks like a lot more involved.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by good hands
Great write up. I am not a DIY'er and my car has been diagnosed with a bad piniion bearing also. The mechanic I am dealing with says it is cheaper to put in a used tranny as opposed to taking it apart and fixing it. He also says that when he removes the parts to get to the bearing " things " usually break and need replaced. Any opinions on my best course of action ?
Scott,

I think he was just trying to avoid the option to rebuild the box, it is just much easier to replace the transmission entirely.

There is really nothing to break to replace the pinion bearing unless you don't know what you are doing. Maybe he is referring discovering more wear and tear parts that needs to be replaced while you are at it?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great DIY instructions, and nice photos too. does a tip transmission have a pinion bearing ?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Superb pictures ! they make it look so easy !
Respect for putting the transmission into pieces, I had never seen that before on a 996.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Scott,

I think he was just trying to avoid the option to rebuild the box, it is just much easier to replace the transmission entirely.

There is really nothing to break to replace the pinion bearing unless you don't know what you are doing. Maybe he is referring discovering more wear and tear parts that needs to be replaced while you are at it?
Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

I also believe he was referring to a used tranny. Wouldn't a used transmission have the same weak bearing problem ? Are there rebuilt ones out there already that have addressed the bearing problem ?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by good hands
Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

I also believe he was referring to a used tranny. Wouldn't a used transmission have the same weak bearing problem ? Are there rebuilt ones out there already that have addressed the bearing problem ?
Prior to rebuilding my own transmission with a new pinion bearing I did a lot of research and found that there are many refurb transmissiosn for sale on ebay. All of them supposedly already had the pinion bearing replaced with a new unit.

Not trusting the history of the transmissions for sale made me to rebuild it on our own.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robin,
Excellent thread. Thank you, so much, for posting it.

You mention the spider gear as a common failure point for the 996 transmission. Did you replace the unit in your car?

Also, what did you use to upgrade the clutch forks?

And the final question, did you take a look at the lifters? Any signs of failure?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Jon,

The pitting on my spider gears were still minor so I left it in, the pitting condition can vary from car to car. Not too difficult to replace.

I did upgrade the clutch fork and the pivot point, made a huge difference on how smooth the transmission shifted and the pedal force. Prior my clutch pedal required a lot of force.

The lifters looked fine, but I know there were probably a hand full of them that could be replaced as I do hear a little lifter noise at idle but goes away the second I give a little gas. I decided to leave them as they were, again no big deal if I had to go back and replace them.

The biggest surprise to me was replacing the CAM chain plastic guides, as now I can hear and feel the variocam working. I didn't replace any spark plug or coils so I know my power increase the engine tone change had to come from replacing the CAM chain guides. Hard to imagine it would make that much difference.
The following users liked this post:
158Sierra (12-05-2021)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
fast996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have the part# for the clutch fork and pivot? u replace that tube thing also while u where "in there" ?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Very, very impressive

When can I drop my car off?

Quick Reply: 996 IMS, timing chain guide, transmission pinion bearing and misc items DIY project