Sponsored by:

996 key....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
No. The key head has to be recognized to start the car.
Interesting, I cannot unlock my doors with my FOB but I can start my car?? Are they two different chips?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 AM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ is your battery dead?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 AM
RPMulli
Banned

nope...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 AM
RPMulli
Banned

They must be two different things because that wouldnt make sense if your FOB battery dies then you cant start your car.. is the chip inside the metal key??
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
Interesting, I cannot unlock my doors with my FOB but I can start my car?? Are they two different chips?
Had the same problem - shop is re-programming now.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Quite honestly I would stay away from all the ebay keys. The dealers will not cut them if they didn't sell you it. No matter what you tell them they will reply that the material is substandard and it will 'harm' the cutting tool. You and I know this is BS as most of the knock off's are of softer metal if anything but perhaps way back one roque blade DID wreak a cutter and like urban myths - no dealer will risk it. Or they want their mark up on parts - your pick! If you do have a blade still in the bag with the Porsche part number they will cut it however.

People are correct - no tag with code # for the head and your screwed. Oh but of course we can sell you a new head to go along with the new blade you need...

I believe an 'unlock' code from Atlanta (PCNA) is required before the programming of the key head (and spares) matched to your car can begin.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my car for 3 weeks. No spare key. Is the spare key replacement also a dealer only item at big cost? Geez, I thought it was no big deal
Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

It has been my experience that $150 is about right for a new remote control blank key fob, I take the blank and the old key to my local VW dealership to get cut for $10. Many locksmiths can also cut the key very cheaply. Essentially they put the old key and the new blank in the machine, push start and 5 minutes later the key is done.

To pair they key to the car must be done with the PWISS, this takes about 5 minutes and if you have any relationship with your dealers most will do it gratis while you wait.

I would not recommend getting the new fob from any place other than a Porsche dealer.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I take the blank and the old key to my local VW dealership to get cut for $10.
Not around here they won't. And locksmiths won't touch them either for liability reasons. (Car theft)

To pair they key to the car must be done with the PWISS, this takes about 5 minutes and if you have any relationship with your dealers most will do it gratis while you wait.
Using the pwiss is only half of it. It has to get the unlock code from the server in Atlanta. Relationship? I guess if your car is being serviced or repaired for a few thousand I guess they might consider it while it's up on the hoist. My dealer has line ups of vehicles to service and the relationship goes out the window if he has to take a tech away from a busy shop floor they aren't going to do this for free. It takes three weeks to get an appointment in the spring when you only have only two dealers close by serving an area such as the Toronto GTA market. (Hence the growth of good indy shops up here where we only go to the dealer as a last resort or for warranty work)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Agrred. It's a bit more than a two minute job from what I recall.

There was only one person in my dealership authorized to do it, and it involved phone calls and database lookups to get security codes before they could do it all. If I remember it all took at least 30 minutes. Not free for 99% of us i expect.

Quick Reply: 996 key....