996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

best tires for everyday driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

I just bought some BF Goodrich G Force Comp-2 A/S tires and so far am absolutely in love with them. At the moment they are way quieter than the Dunlops I replaced. Haven't tested their handling limits yet as they only have about 100 miles on them. Tire Rack has a $70 rebate for them till the end of the month. My local, trusted Discount Tire matched their prices and discount.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered Pilot Super Sports. Highest tread wear and rain handling on Tire Rack.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's on my 986. They were great street tires. I killed them with 2 days of track and 2 AX. They get VERY slippery when very hot. The rears were down to the wear bars in ~11k miles Fronts still had tread.

Just put a set of Sumitomo HTR ZIII on and they feel great. Have not done a track day or AX on them yet, track coming at the end of Oct.

The Sumi's are also not $$ a set of 4 is under $500

My 996 has Michelin AS/3 on it and they are super noisy. They are 19's, so maybe that adds to the noise.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default best tires for everyday driving?

Some of the best tires I have had on my 996 were the Falken 425's. Great wear and great handling on the track. Super in the wet.

That being said, we should all be running whatever tires KCAttorney is since he has a 996TT and his word is now Porsche gospel.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:13 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Did anyone mention Continental Extreme Contact DW yet?

My car buddy friend love them, I have nothing bad to say about them, and they are great in the rain.
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS version on my '02 C2 (they came with the car when I bought it). While I thought they were fine in general, I did my first autocross this past weekend, and the instructor riding along with me made a point to tell me how bad they were.

I'm an AX newbie, and just learning the car's limits in that environment, but I will say it wasn't hard to break them loose and get sideways. Given that I live in Southern California, I can't imagine I really need the all-season component these tires give, so I'll probably go with something else on the next go-round.

I've got some tread life left, so I've got some time to figure out what the next set will be.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
V12 are 28k tires treadwear, R-S3 are 20k. If you're concerned about treadwear, you could always mount 80,000 mile all-seasons, but why would you do that? You spent all that money on a Porsche, and tires are the single most important thing you can do for it performance-wise; if you slap on prius tires, you're going to limit your car to prius performance. Tire changes every other year or so is simply one more maintenance cost.

I've driven by Porsche on snow tires, and I've driven it on street tires; there is very little difference driving down the highway, and I'd argue you should never be exceeding the grip of an all season tire (~0.8-0.9gish) on public streets, but you're a WHOLE lot safer driving to 7/10 of a really good tire than 9/10 of a crappy one. Sooner or later, you're going to make a mistake and push that edge a little too hard during a spirited drive, and having a tire that can haul you through a 1.2g corner is what's going to save your ***. You're going to find you have to hold back a whole lot more if you go with a lesser tire, and that ruins a lot of the fun and experience of owning a high performance sports car like this.

Not sure where you pulled those numbers out of but NO WAY will you get 28k out of V12's if your drive a Porsche LIKE A PORSCHE! Best I have gotten 15k and that was with threads showing at the end. Like I said my 3rd set.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwhitlow
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS version on my '02 C2 (they came with the car when I bought it). While I thought they were fine in general, I did my first autocross this past weekend, and the instructor riding along with me made a point to tell me how bad they were.

I'm an AX newbie, and just learning the car's limits in that environment, but I will say it wasn't hard to break them loose and get sideways. Given that I live in Southern California, I can't imagine I really need the all-season component these tires give, so I'll probably go with something else on the next go-round.

I've got some tread life left, so I've got some time to figure out what the next set will be.

DWS is a different tire than a DW.

Unless I really dump the clutch (which I haven't done yet) it's almost impossible to break them loose on dry pavement or around a corner.

Quick Reply: best tires for everyday driving?