Losing Coolant. UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Thanks for the replies.

The code on my reservoir cap ends in .01 so I guess I'll order a new, updated cap. However, the entire reservoir assembly is dry to the touch...all the time...and there is no evidence of liquid anywhere near it in the engine bay.

How does one check the heater coil?

The issue I have with continuously just bringing it to the dealer is the fact of how far away they are. Since buying the car in July, I've had to take it to Porsche 7 times, at 1000 Kms roundtrip overtime. Not that resale value is my primary concern, but the value of these 996's is definitely tied to their mileage more than their age. So the far that I've taken the car from 96000 Kms to 113000 Kms in 6 months would lead to a disturbing forecast of mileage accumulation over the next couple years.

I bought a 911 partially because of their extremely high rate of reliability. I guess there should be an asterisk next to that claim excluding the 996 series.

I will have to find a way to get the car up, take off the front bumper and the under side panels and manually search for the issue myself and then TELL Porsche what to fix...

sean
When my 02 Boxster's coolant light flashed and I found the tank near empty there was no signs of any coolant around the tank, no signs of any wetness around the tank, nor anywhere else for that matter.

I added fluid -- quite a bit -- that tank is huge -- and drove the car but checked the level more often. Upon opening the lid I'd notice a bit of condensation around the rubber seal that the fluid bay has which seals against the underside of the trunk lid.

No signs of coolant leak again but the cap had some stains that were characsteristic of coolant drying. I replaced the cap. My car's cap part number ended in 00 IIRC. I think I got an 03 cap.

Leak solved.

Same sort of symptoms/signs with my 03 Turbo. It was covered by CPO warranty and the tech just replaced the cap when I mentioned the coolant tank level low and the cap had some signs of water condensation around it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the suggestions. Updated with new info.

Quick Reply: Losing Coolant. UPDATED