Sponsored by:

Spark plugs & anti-sieze

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
LDunville
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs & anti-sieze

I'm a real believer in anti-sieze compound, but I seem to remember reading that it should not be used on 911 spark plugs.

Is this correct? Is it because of the alum block? Is it true of everything on the Porsche, like trans & oil plugs.

thanks
Larry
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LDunville
I'm a real believer in anti-sieze compound, but I seem to remember reading that it should not be used on 911 spark plugs.

Is this correct? Is it because of the alum block? Is it true of everything on the Porsche, like trans & oil plugs.

thanks
Larry
If you use the approved spark plugs the threads should come with a dry lubricant.

I consulted a Turbo reference for spark plug changing and there is no callout to use any thread lube on the spark plug threads.

(One risk of anti-seize is any excess that gets in the combustion chamber can contaminate the O2 sensors.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe the M96 has steel inserts that the plugs thread into.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Antiseize should not be used on spark plug threads.......ever....for any reason.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indi put some on my plugs when he replaced them. Old old old ones were almost siezed. Darn plugs need to have a sooner replacement interval.

I guess they do get replaces sooner if they get spit back out
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The ability to overtighten and "push" an plug further into the combustion chamber than it should be.

There is also the issue of stripping the nice soft aluminum threads in the head.

The other issue, that Macster mentioned is the anti seize fowling the cats.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine about 1 year ago. They were in their since the car was built in 2002 and can out very easily (once I got to them).
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
The ability to overtighten and "push" an plug further into the combustion chamber than it should be.
This is why you set the torque setting 4-5lbs less if you use anti-size.

There is also the issue of stripping the nice soft aluminum threads in the head.
Double checked with my indy - M96 have steel inserts - your not threading plugs into threaded alum.

The other issue, that Macster mentioned is the anti seize fowling the cats.
True enough if you slobber the stuff all over the threads. Most people who change their own plugs follow the less is more ideals. FYI: The jury is out on using small amounts. Some indy's say no - some say yes and the same for tech sessions with PCA guys with two different guys on a panel having split opinions on this. I've used it without problems and I have heard the horror stories of trying to get plugs out of our cars that have 50K+ plus life - mainly on cars driven year round in northern climates.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Antiseize should not be used on spark plug threads.......ever....for any reason.
Maybe you should let Harley-Davidson know. They use it upon new assembly and want it used with EVERY spark plug change.

This started in '99 with the TC motors. I've used a light coat on spark plug threads for years, maybe even decades will no issues. I'm aware it may not be kind to cats, could even short the side and center electrodes of the plugs.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs & anti-sieze