Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You are welcome. Don't get dirty.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

TomF,
My point exactly, just saying use epoxy doesn't make it right It should be more like- use the right materials. Just as important is "what concrete is the floor made of."
I know that there is a discussion about sleeve vs. straight epoxy vs. hybrids vs...
The MaxJax supplied sleeve Wej-Its worked well for me in the 7.5 " thk 4000lb reinforced concrete used in my garage floor. Others have had major spalling/breakout problems both above and below the floor when using sleeve or wedge anchors. All that I can say is YMMV??
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
TomF,
I know that there is a discussion about sleeve vs. straight epoxy vs. hybrids vs...
The MaxJax supplied sleeve Wej-Its worked well for me in the 7.5 " thk 4000lb reinforced concrete used in my garage floor. Others have had major spalling/breakout problems both above and below the floor when using sleeve or wedge anchors. All that I can say is YMMV??
All points well taken. You clearly know your subject. The quality of the concrete has a huge impact on the success of the anchor retrofit. Your slab is what my garage slab aspires to be!

If one really wanted to be safe, pouring new pads reinforced with steel and "j" or "l" bolts tied to the steel would be the way to go. I am probably going to have to re-pour my slab (or pads) when I install my lift as I am pretty sure the depth is inadequate.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
All points well taken. You clearly know your subject. The quality of the concrete has a huge impact on the success of the anchor retrofit. Your slab is what my garage slab aspires to be!

If one really wanted to be safe, pouring new pads reinforced with steel and "j" or "l" bolts tied to the steel would be the way to go. I am probably going to have to re-pour my slab (or pads) when I install my lift as I am pretty sure the depth is inadequate.

Cheers,
Tom
FYI - Be advised "J" bolts are no longer spec'd due to their tendancy to pull out when heavily loaded.

Hilti has a tech library for anchoring to concrete: http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/m...ctedOid=-60251

I'm a structural designer in the oil and gas industry and we specify epoxy anchors all the time for anchoring heavy equipment and structural steel. Any anchor chosen will have to be used within it's design limits (duh) which is the most important point one should take away from this discussion.

If it were me, I'd just buy the kit from MaxJax and be done with it.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
FYI - Be advised "J" bolts are no longer spec'd due to their tendancy to pull out when heavily loaded.
That is very interesting. Maybe I am calling them the wrong thing- I am talking about the j-shaped bolts that hook under and tired to rebar... I am surprised that they could pull out in any circumstance. I would expect the bolt itself to fail first. What is now the strongest? I am assuming that it is an embedded strap of some kind...
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
That is very interesting. Maybe I am calling them the wrong thing- I am talking about the j-shaped bolts that hook under and tired to rebar... I am surprised that they could pull out in any circumstance. I would expect the bolt itself to fail first. What is now the strongest? I am assuming that it is an embedded strap of some kind...
Remember I said "when heavily loaded". J bolts and embedded straps have their applications and are typically used for smaller loads although I guess they could be sized for larger loads though it wouldn't be the most efficient use. Other designs work that cost less.

The standard anchor bolt used in industrial applications is A36 steel (ASTM spec is A307) with a threaded portion at the bottom with nut/plate/nut secured by welding or simply damaging the treads so the nut cannot turn. The plate can be a simple washer or a square plate.

See pics of really big ones: http://www.pipingtech.com/blog/categ...-bolts-embeds/

You shouldn't need ones that big for your lift! The most important point is an anchor bolt must be designed for the application and load. If it works, fine.

Quick Reply: MaxJax Lift Anchor Type