996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 stereo upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010 | 10:13 AM
tcleaver
Track Day

Default 996 stereo upgrade questions

I know there are a ton of threads about this, and I have reviewed a bunch of them on this and other sites, but most go above and beyond what I am trying to do.

I have a '99 996 with a stock stereo system (CDR-220 upgraded from a CDR-210, 6-disk CD changer, M480 amp, 2 dash speakers, 2 door speakers and 2 rear speakers). The only addition is a bazooka behind the rear seats that was added by the previous owner. I am not sure how the speakers and bazooka are connected but they all are working and there are no other components (amps, subs etc) in the car. Of course the sound is crap, as everyone knows, so for now I just want to replace the dash and rear speakers and perhaps the amp. I don't want to do any physical modifications so the new speakers need to fit into the standard space provided. I have already purchased two sets of original Porsche speaker grills to reuse for the new install.

Question 1. What speakers should I get for the dash and rear?

Question 2. Can I replace the M480 amp with something more powerful but keep the CDR-220 head unit? I know a lot of people think the Becker/Porsche head units are crap but they look good in the car and I can't stand the plastic/bling look of the more modern head units.

Question 3. Is it worth keeping the bazooka installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

T
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:21 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the head units are the weakest link in the chain. I replaced mine with a minimum bling JVC, and the sound improved a lot. It's still sub-par unless you go all-out with a sub and powerful amp, new speakers, etc. I just refuse to pay a fortune for a stereo when the engine noise drowns out the music anyway!
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:35 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Andy is correct, the Becker head units are rubbish!
Old 12-30-2010 | 11:19 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I like how the Becker looks much better than after market. I used to be into car stereo systems and had multi-thousand dollar systems installed in every car I owned (until I had kids). I had a huge system in a Suburban with the stock GM radio. It was tough to get the amps connected to it as there weren't plugs but we got it done. The sound was as good as any high priced head unit I ever had. Had top of the line amps, speakers, eq, cabling, etc.... It can be done!
Old 12-30-2010 | 12:49 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think with the stock Becker units, it's garbage in, garbage out, regardless of speakers and amps, etc.
Old 12-30-2010 | 04:11 PM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

I swapped out my head unit for a midrange kenwood and it was a huge change. It's not super blingy and it allows for custom colors so it blends in with the dash nicely.

I had planned on doing the speakers next but just never bothered because it sounded so much better.

Quick Reply: 996 stereo upgrade questions