Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can the early tiptronic be flashed to operate manually in 'Drive'?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Muf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the early tiptronic be flashed to operate manually in 'Drive'?

I have a 1998 Carrera 2 (996) with tiptronic and I really miss the option of manual speed selection in the 'drive' mode. I understand that the later models (2000 and on I think) have this feature and I wonder if the earlier tiptronic control module can be reprogrammed.
Thanks for replies.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never heard of a flash like that.

An easy way to get the car to only upshift one gear at a time is to be in manual mode then shift the stick into automatic and back to manual real quick. Makes going up in gears and managing to stay in higher revs during turns easy. Of course if you have to downshift its the wheel toggles unless you go to automatic and do a quick jab of the pedal to the floor. Auto/tiptronic sucks but eh.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know anything about the "Flash" idea... but the 2000 is the year they changed to the manual override with the Tip buttons in the Drive selection. Down shifts hold till the speed increases - then everything is back to Auto mode. I find this is a very usable setting for part throttle acceleration and down hill coasting to hold speed. My guess is you would need to swap the Tip control box.

Quick Reply: Can the early tiptronic be flashed to operate manually in 'Drive'?