996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

need a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a 3.6 996 engine on E-bay for less that $11,000 from a dismantler...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't go anywhere near a dismantler for a used motor. Talking about playing Russian Roulette with your replacement.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dismantlers used to be a better source until last year when a couple of them started learning to repair the engines.. Now most everything you get is a patch up with a hodge podge of parts from different engines.

Think long and hard before making this decision... Decisions made in haste generally have the worst after taste.. Believe me, I get the phone calls on a near daily basis these days.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
One last note, check and see if you can land a warrany - some on here have found 4 year / 40k mile complete coverage for like $4k - a hard pill to swallow but just reading this one thread makes ya think it might not be a bad pill.....
What everyone should take away from this thread is that the IMS bearing is far from the only thing with the potential for causing catastrophic engine failure. But the IMS bearing is the only thing that can be replaced proactively without removing the engine. Since it would be dumb to remove the engine to replace only one possible failure component, what people need to ask is how much it would cost to replace all the potential failure components.

Then compare that figure to the cost of a warranty.

And of course a [bumper-to-bumper] warranty would pay to replace just about everything on the car should it fail. I just had a leaking gas tank and the sending unit replaced in my MB @ 8 yrs 65K miles, along with the heater control valve and some vacuum relay thing...all covered under the aftermarket warranty. Had I paid out of my pocket it would've cost me more than the warranty cost. And another "minor" repair I had done earlier cost 80% of what I paid for the warranty. And, I have another 2 yrs to go on the warranty!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think people are too quick to sell their rollers when this happens. Cars aren't assets. Their value lies in future utility. If someone had planned to keep their 996 for a few more years before the engine broke, their total cost for doing so will likely still be less replacing the engine than it would taking a loss on the car plus buying a replacement plus the steeper depreciation on that newer replacement over the same period of time. It's simple economics. If you can't bear to look at it any more, fine. Sell it. But if there's any question in your mind, do a little spreadsheet covering the 3-5 years ahead, and I'd predict that for most of us fixing the car is the better deal.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We went thru the same gyrations with our '00 Boxster S last summer. Motor puked up its lunch and some while at the track for a DE weekend. Had over 110,000 miles, many on track or autox. We thought it had basically served us well.

We quickly objected to the crap-shoot of a used motor. And even looked at buying another vehicle and selling our roller. Ended up buying a factory warranty crate motor and had it installed by our indie. We figured this was the best long term solution, as we otherwise still liked & enjoyed the rest of the car.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your engine failure... I feel your pain having also expereinced an intermix on my 2001 C4 with 30K miles or so.. My dear indie opened up and inspected the engine carefully, and asked me if i had a boat? I responded not anymore, and he said thats too bad because your engine is toast and will make a good anchor.. I really didnt find his humor funny, as i had a big decisions to make much like you are facing right now... Having owned the car for almost three years before the engine failed, i had never heard or spent much time researching soem exceptional engine issues with these cars. From what i now know intermix and IMS failures happen, and perhaps happen in 5% or less of these cars. Most effected owners spend a lot of time talking and writing about their tirials and tribulations associated with engine rebuild or replacement, which make it feel like a much more common occurance. I went with a new engine from Porsche with the 2 year guanentee back in 2007.

The engine replacement decision is a mix of emotional, financial, and how more can you afford or want to spend on this car in the future. With a higher millage car the decision will really be tilting to emotions, with short ownership and now an engine replaement that could equal to over 60-70% of your purchase price.

Do your homework, starting a good diagnosis from your mechanic.. Many other RL's stated it may be a lot less expensive to fix depending on what exactly went wrong that going with a replacement motor. Also be careful not asking for 6 different opinions, as it will cost you money and time, without a clearly direction...

Again sorry about your car, and good luck...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Rob996
Pro

This is what the engines looks like from new from the factory...
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Rob996
Pro

FWIW, I love my car more and more, especially on the track... having no regrets with the new engine..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob996
This is what the engines looks like from new from the factory...
It's like... like... ****...
Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
It's like... like... ****...
Can never have too much...engine pics.

How about a new X51 engine?

And a 996 Turbo engine?

Now. Go smoke a cigarette.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Droooolll .......

Where the tissue....
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey ... Check out EXCELLENCE this month - The answer to the "I coulda had a V8" comes from RUF. Designed for the 911 - 550 hp and lighter - but I guess it might cost a bit more than the other options.

All kidding aside - I agree with looking at this as a long term economic question. If the "car" w/o engine is in really good shape than how many years can you be happy with a Carrera with a new or rebuilt engine? At $10,000 to $15,000 we are talking $2000 per year for 5 years on the low side and up to $3000 annually. I am sorry to see these things happen but - if it where me - and liking my C4 as I do - I would just finance the mew motor and motor on. Still a bunch less that a new Camry and a bunch more satisfying to own.
Even if we in vest $40,000 in a Carrera we still pay Half what the Original Owner pitched in and have all the joy in driving this great 911. IMHO
The other option... sell the roller for 10K add 5K and by a used Boxster. But they ... then you are driving a Boxster... with the same odds of having the engine go - again.

Quick Reply: need a new engine