Sponsored by:

Transmission input shaft spline lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission input shaft spline lubrication

I'm in the process of putting my motor/trans back together and the Sachs clutch kit includes a sachet of spline lube. I hadn't planned on lubricating the input shaft splines - so far as I can see the workshop manual doesn't call for the splines to be lubricated either. Has anyone seen a Porsche reference that does call for the input shaft splines to be lubricated?

The only lube I'm using in the clutch area is some sticky Optimol 3EP on the release arm pivot/ball & slave cylinder rod to release arm contact point.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

A thick sticky grease is preferred but only after a very thorough wire brushing of each and every spline. A little grease goes a long way. A copper based anti-seize also works well.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris walrod
A thick sticky grease is preferred but only after a very thorough wire brushing of each and every spline. A little grease goes a long way. A copper based anti-seize also works well.
Thanks Chris, I have the Optimol 3EP which is plenty sticky but the Sachs kit includes a sachet of lube which is labelled as "spline lube" so one would figure that if the clutch OEM provides some lube with its clutch kit then the lube would be fit for purpose. I was just surprised as up until then I had been under the impression that input shaft splines should not be lubricated in order to avoid throw-off lube contaminating the clutch friction surfaces.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OZ951
Thanks Chris, I have the Optimol 3EP which is plenty sticky but the Sachs kit includes a sachet of lube which is labelled as "spline lube" so one would figure that if the clutch OEM provides some lube with its clutch kit then the lube would be fit for purpose. I was just surprised as up until then I had been under the impression that input shaft splines should not be lubricated in order to avoid throw-off lube contaminating the clutch friction surfaces.
Yeah, I know what you mean by centrifugally lubricating everything I would then use the spline lube as its designated for such the job.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

I think I will use the OEM lube, I did some more researching and found another OEM reference which said to apply the correct lube sparingly, then momentarily fit the clutch disc to spread the lube, remove disc & wipe up any excess then re-fit disc. That seems like a sound approach to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

The sachet of spline lube turned out to be pretty sticky stuff like the Optimoly 3EP. There wasn't that much in the sachet of course so there was minimal excess lube after spreading the lube through /wiping the splines using the new clutch disc. The pics of the clutch work are on my engine DIY page.

Quick Reply: Transmission input shaft spline lubrication