996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Scrached the Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cars routinely come off the transporters brand new with more damage than that. I think you should be honest and part of that is that you have no idea, when or how it got there. I can't imagine you having a problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
BluesCast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
BTW - OT

Blues your avatar looks SWEET !!
Hey man thanks.

They need to keep the car another day so no update. Again, thanks for the words of advise and encouragement.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 3" scratch on a bumper should be an small fix. I agree with some of the guys. Back in the day one of my 1st jobs was working for a Car rental company and lots of these dents/scratches were missed on precheck. We always went back to the records to see if the damage was there.
I think honesty is the best... good luck
Old 11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Hopefully the scratch is why the car went into the loaners instead of sales floor. Can't imagine it not having a scratch before getting to you.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

My BMW dealer takes pics of loaners before they leave the dealers and makes you sign the condition of the car.... that is really the only way to avoid pointing fingers. Not sure if I like the idea, but it does make you think of where you may park the car.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

Dammit!! I hate it when that happens.....I think the only way to rectify this is to fess up, ask them what they were asking for the Cayman and payup. Doood, you're on the hook, man......Wait a minute. How about not bringing it back? Don't pick up your phone, move, and enjoy your new(er) Cayman. How long before they catchup to you? What's to lose? Man, you are in IT now....RUN!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
That's a good point.

All we really have is the teenager's story... since he was the one in the car in the garage. It's his claim that the car "just started up and lurched forward."
Not only that, but that press car has a PDK! That kid, started it, engaged "Drive" and let go the brake = big F#@*up!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4Scargo
Dammit!! I hate it when that happens.....I think the only way to rectify this is to fess up, ask them what they were asking for the Cayman and payup. Doood, you're on the hook, man......Wait a minute. How about not bringing it back? Don't pick up your phone, move, and enjoy your new(er) Cayman. How long before they catchup to you? What's to lose? Man, you are in IT now....RUN!!
Gotta love all the options.

Take a magic marker when you pick up your car. If they say no problem it was already scratched, magic marker where the scratch is on the dash so the next guy doesn't go through the same terror. That'll teach 'em
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
911FM
Racer

Originally Posted by redridge
My BMW dealer takes pics of loaners before they leave the dealers and makes you sign the condition of the car.... that is really the only way to avoid pointing fingers. Not sure if I like the idea, but it does make you think of where you may park the car.
Interesting. I get loaners from BMW too but they are very different. They barely fill-out the paperwork. One time as I was doing my own inspection on the loaner before leaving the lot. I pointed out 2 or 3 large existing scratches and the SA just shrugged. Never had a problem.

Just be honest.

FM
Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
BluesCast
Advanced

Status update: The dealer called today and said they are still waiting on the part to arrive from Germany so I still have the Cayman.

Now that I've had the Cayman for 5 days I can say without doubt that I really miss my 911. I've found a few things I'm not particularly fond of; 1. the car lacks power. Understandable as it is the base Cayman and I'm used to the 911's power. 2. It's been raining here and corners I take at speed in the 911 without issue the Cayman tends to lose traction at times. I'm guessing the weight over the 911 rear axles help keep it planted or the wider tires.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Last edited by BluesCast; 12-01-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

That surprises me. I would have thought the 911 superior in all things but wet weather handling I would have thought the Cayman had the edge.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Originally Posted by BluesCast
I will point it out at the dealership. What is a bit disconcerting is this is the first time at this particular dealership so building a solid relationship has been on my mind. 'course I'm getting $2000 worth of work done on the 996.
Well I would think that would be your answer right there, if you're spending that kind of money with them they would take care of this little mishap. And it probably wouldn't hurt to tell them your're planning on doing some more business with them in the future. Good Luck
Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 AM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, I feel for ya, I say be straight up, including the bit about not parking the car where you believe it could have happened. Like mentioned above, if they like your business they should be understanding.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

I respectively disagree with that last little bit of advice. You don't even know if it happenned on your watch and so speculation where it could have happenned is a shot in the dark. The truth is you have no idea if it happnned while the car was in your posession or before.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

"Am I making a bit to do over nothing. Three inch scratch after all."

Well then, what if they just put a 3" scratch in yours and call it even? Becasue I am sure if they did scratch yours with a small 3" scratch you would just say "oh thats ok... I dont want to make a big to do over nothing"

Just be honest. I bet they go, oh, and forget about it.

Last edited by Shark Attack; 12-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Scrached the Loaner