996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rubber bits in my oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I still have the oil and I am waiting for an oil analysis kit from blackstone so I can see if I can't get some additional data about the motor.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
Yes, I still have the oil and I am waiting for an oil analysis kit from blackstone so I can see if I can't get some additional data about the motor.
Where is the old oil stored? It is probably contaminated and not worth testing. The UOA won't tell you much right now. But, had you been doing them regularly, they would have given you early warning signs.

Still, I don't understand why you are driving the car until resolved.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Cefalu
Racer

The oil will be fine according to the Blackstone website. It’s sealed in the same one quart bottles my new oil came in.

I suppose I could have towed the car, but I keep my car in a storage garage near my office. I live in SF and can’t leave it on the street for more than a couple of days without getting towed. Leaving it at home is not an option.

Like I said, zero engine noises, no metal whatsoever in the filter, and runs perfect. It was a calculated risk I understand and accept. I won’t be driving it again until I see the results of the oil analysis though. Then I will be deciding my next move. Probably to drop the oil pan and take a peek to see what is going on in the sump.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FedEx the sample to Blackstone, this will save you several days of waiting time. They are pretty quick once they get your sample. They will e-mail the results to you in either a PDF or WORD document.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Car still running?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
Well, I drove my car to work yesterday (wow 5 miles), and with a 40 degree morning, it started and ran with zero lifter or chain noise. No unusual mechanical engine sounds at all. Maybe the change from 0W-40 to 5W-40 did the trick. I still need to figure out the source of the plastic bits though.
Could be just a change in oil. My cars are quieter after an oil change. The fresh oil is more viscous cause it hasn't accumulated a load of water and unburned gasoline like oil with miles on it has.

That 5 mile trip is a bit of a problem. At a bay area Porsche dealer (Rector in fact) some years ago and came upon a Carrera engine torn down for an IMS bearing problem. Tech told me engine salvageable.

I asked him some details on the car cause I wanted to know more about how an IMS bearing failure could come about and he said the car's a typical "SF" car. The car sees 5 miles to work in the AM. A few miles at lunch. Then 5 miles home in the PM. Repeat maybe 5 days a week. This car's engine only had 20K miles on it. Pistons heavily coated with dark deposits.

These cars and their engines really benefit from being taken out and driven some distance. No need to go all John Force with the car, but longer trips are a good thing.

You just changed the oil/filter.

If I were you I'd consider dropping the filter housing and pouring the oil out into a clean container. If the oil's free of any debris... you really still need to consider the oil baffles. The baffles may not be shedding any more stuff -- right now -- but they've shed some and their ability to help keep oil around the pickup and aerated away from the pickup has been compromised.

If the debris is again present, you need to get the source of the debris id'd.

Not sure an oil analysis will be of much use. The seal/rubber bits will be indistinquishable from the oil under spectrum analysis.

If there is metal though, or coolant, this will show up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Cefalu
Racer

No driving, it's just resting. I am waiting for the Blackstone oil test results. But it sounds and runs better than ever with the secondary air system parts changed and new oil. I think the resonance flaps were not functioning due to the secondary air valve failure. They are both operated from the same vacuum line. But yes, once I have time I plan to drop the pan to see what is going on in there.

Had I not cut open my filter I would not have ever suspected a problem. I wonder how many people on this board actually cut open their oil filters and take a look?

I don't commute with this car, that's what my bikes are for. This car gets used on weekends, and does get some decent long drives. I understand the importance of getting the oil hot.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I cut my filter and unrolled it and found no rubber bits or metal particles at all with 53k miles.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

My next oil change I will do autopsy on filter.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Any news?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Still waiting on blackstone, nothing yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Came across this today. Interesting bit about Plastic bits in the oil filter being from failing IMS bearing cage .

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...13/487005.html

"We have seen numerous engine issues in Porsche Boxster, 996 and early 997s as a result of the IMS bearing failing," says Autofarm workshop manager Robin Bartholomew. "Customers who experience the first tell tale signs of a bearing failure such as plastic or golden metal particles in the oil or filter may already have incurred engine damage. The IMS bearing should be a maintenance item and be properly cared for just like a cam belt and be replaced accordingly. The upgraded specification of our kit, together with a scheduled replacement should prevent premature wear that ultimately results in catastrophic failures."
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Cefalu
Racer

No news yet from Blackstone, they seem pretty slow, or maybe it's the USPS. No matter car is still resting.

Aside from the seal, did Porsche really use a plastic bearing cage in the IMS bearing?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh oh you sent oil a flamable liquid via the US postal service neglecting to declare hazardous material !
You skipped the $50 well probably $75 hazmat fee.
You will wake up with homeland securty dragging you down the hall to a paddy wagon.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Geeforce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very funny but the OP has nothing to worry about. There is a form on the Blackstone web site that explains why shipping these samples is safe and not hazardous.

The OP should call them and ask if they received the sample. I have sent in a dozen of these from various cars and the turnaround is usually about a week. When I needed the results quickly, I overnighted or did 2 day express. They test those arrivals first as they expect there is a reason for the expedited delivery.

Originally Posted by Pac996
Uh oh you sent oil a flamable liquid via the US postal service neglecting to declare hazardous material !
You skipped the $50 well probably $75 hazmat fee.
You will wake up with homeland securty dragging you down the hall to a paddy wagon.

Quick Reply: Rubber bits in my oil filter