Sponsored by:

Horseshoe Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Horseshoe Help Needed

I've done a number searches and can't find the exact details I'm looking for and was hoping someone could help me or make suggestions on the best way to accomplish this mission.

First, let me give you some background. Recently purchased '02 C4 Cab with an aftermarket (Pioneer AVIC-Z1) radio/nav. FM works, AM is total static. After playing around for a while and planning on opening up the A-pillar to test the antenna amp I realized this isn't my problem. One of the simple things I did was to reset the Pioneer and this caused a number of things to not to work. Ultimately, I found the reset changes the setting (back to default) for when the Pioneer powers the external antenna amp. But, this caused the speaker amplifier to not switch on in my case. So, after looking at the installation guide of the Pioneer I find there are two wires, one blue and the blue with a while stripe, one for the speaker amplifier and the other for the antenna, long story short, the Pioneer's antenna amp wire is connected to the speaker amplifier and I believe there is nothing connect to the antenna amp of the car.

So, I need to remove the Pioneer and trace the wiring. Now to my question, I need to pull the horseshoe off and disconnect the plugs from the switches or remove the switches. I've quickly looked at this and before I start (tomorrow) I was wondering if anyone could provide me with detailed information on how you remove the connectors from the switches or the switches from the horseshoe. I saw something about releasing a tab on the connector, but I'm not sure I saw a tab on the connector.

Any help would be very appeciated.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cheated and used a proffessional installer.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:45 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pac996
I cheated and used a proffessional installer.
Excellent, now I know how to do it.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Horseshoe just pulls off. I usually start at the top corners and work my way down the sides. If I remember correctly the switch rock out top to bottom or bottom to top.
You might ask Eric at bumperplugs.com
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed my own double din unit .
I had to remove the horse shoe and the associated switches to install my HU.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Pac996
Drifting

I hope you have everything fixed up and running smooth. You never mentioned if you have been in there already.

All cables should pull out past the face of the dash since if properly installed the wires have to be hooked up before inserting the radio. So basicly pulling the radio out should give you everything that is attached. The face of the dash section the radio plugs into might not need to be removed except for the panel around the radio head unit. Just pull out and everything attached should come out with it. Installers have all the correct adapter sockets and plugs plus they have seen it all for problems if you use a guy that has his own shop.

I went with the professional guy since he was selling the fancy radio and install wasn't that much more. You'll probably find guys installing are happy to fix any pre-existing problems while in there so that you like their business. Having the Hawaiian bruddah do it didn't require the tool that unhooks the radio since for some reason my radio at times would try jumping into the back seat. It wasn't locked in when I got the car since the amp was removed and the radio was an Alpine I didn't care for. The radio's chrome look didn't look good. I kind of regret not going with the top of the line gps included with video and moving map tv screen that slides out and tilt up a good sized screen.

Anyway best thing about a shop doing it is they know all the radio configuring and can test your cars wiring with out opening the dash.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

I did open her up this weekend. As suspected, the wrong wire was connected to the speaker amplifier and no wire was connected to the antenna amplifier. I've patched this up temporarily and ordered the proper cable which should arrive for this weekend.

I still need to do some more research, as I believe the installer patched the wrong wires to the speaker amplifier, this too this weekend.

After this, on to the next item. Removal of the old, antiquated K40.

Thanks for the ongoing help, I'm sure I’ll have more questions.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

You must mean the K40 radar instead of K40 antenna's.
Lucky you your police probably don't have instant on laser and a law that says the police can judge your speed by looking at you not needing to pace your car to give a ticket. Ah the modern days we have.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

You must mean the K40 radar instead of K40 antenna's.
Lucky you your police probably don't have instant on laser and a law that says the police can judge your speed by looking at you not needing to pace your car to give a ticket. Ah the modern days we have.
Yes, K40 rader detector. This was a new subject on next things to do. This is a 10 year old unit and I'm going to remove it.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Pac996
Drifting

You might want to go with a laser system also. Laser is all our guys use. It's abusive but thats the way life is being designed to be for all of us.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

You might want to go with a laser system also. Laser is all our guys use. It's abusive but thats the way life is being designed to be for all of us.
At the moment I will go without, I find I get more tickets with the radar/laser units than without.

I have more questions on where theses unit are hidden and how to remove, but I will start a new thread for it.

Quick Reply: Horseshoe Help Needed