Sponsored by:

Need new remote key (head)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new remote key (head)

Does anyone know if the only kind that will work with my car (2003 C2) will be one that looks like mine? ie. the black 2 button one

I'm looking on ebay because it's likely a lot cheaper than at Porsche, but even they don't seem to know which keys work with which models.

I'm planning to buy two of them, so I'm trying to get the best deal - if anyone knows of any other options I might have?

Thanks!!
Kristy
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a search, plenty of info, The key MUST have the code attached to program it, this is usually on a white tag on the key and seldom found on ebay.

Check sunset parts for the keyhead but you will still nead a dealer to program it.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

The programming part is not an issue, and I have found new in package ones on ebay with the code. I just want to make sure that the black 2 button remote is the only one that I can get.. or if any of the other keys also work. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

You can get the 911 design key head - I have them and I like it much better. I bought mine from Suncoast Porsche. You can also buy replacement "halves" for standard keyheads with worn buttons - this is much cheaper.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

Yeah, it's actually the alarm guts that I need, the circuit board, etc. I had my porsche mechanic friend come over with his computer scan thing to see why it wasn't working, but he said that it didn't recognize that there was an alarm at all, just the transponder/immobilizer thing was working. Which didn't make sense to me because I can still arm/disarm the car with the key in the door, but whatever. He tried a couple things, changing some settings but nothing worked, he could not even get into the menu for it because the car didn't recognize it I guess. So, I need a new alarm remote head. I'm going to get two so I can have a spare, as I have the 2nd key (blade) but the remote part was empty.

I like the 911 design one posted, but it is just the shell that you buy, right?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You can get the 911 design key head - I have them and I like it much better. I bought mine from Suncoast Porsche. You can also buy replacement "halves" for standard keyheads with worn buttons - this is much cheaper.
Those are nice
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the new 911 design key head pictured above from Suncoast and and love it.
It comes with the guts (Circuit card and all) - everything but the metal shaft of the key.
The programing part is the "pill" in it.
I took the pill out of my old key , that worked (plastic was very worn) and put it in the new.
Works great and it is a two button.
If your key is not working now it may be that the "pill" needs to be programmed or your battery is dying.
I think it costs around $100 - $150 at the dealer to program a key.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

There are two "programs". One is the "pill" The other is the transmitter circuit board in the head. If your remote lock/unlock does not work the circuit board transmitter is not working or has lost touch with the car. The pill is basically passive and the car is programmed to recognize it. This will let you manually lock/unlock/start the car with the key.

I bought the *standard 2003 two button head from Sunset for ~$90 and put the key blade in myself. The head needs to be programmed by the dealer. In PM's NJ that cost me ~$125
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item3cb2853fee
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kristyhana
Yeah, it's actually the alarm guts that I need, the circuit board, etc. I had my porsche mechanic friend come over with his computer scan thing to see why it wasn't working, but he said that it didn't recognize that there was an alarm at all, just the transponder/immobilizer thing was working. Which didn't make sense to me because I can still arm/disarm the car with the key in the door, but whatever. He tried a couple things, changing some settings but nothing worked, he could not even get into the menu for it because the car didn't recognize it I guess. So, I need a new alarm remote head. I'm going to get two so I can have a spare, as I have the 2nd key (blade) but the remote part was empty.

I like the 911 design one posted, but it is just the shell that you buy, right?
As Brian mentioned, it does come with the "pill", not the circuit board, you just need to put your key blade into it and then have the new pill programmed to your car.

I just switched the internal circuit board from my old keys into the new key heads.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 AM
V225
Racer

So... do I need to take it to a dealership, or could my porsche mechanic do the programming? I just bought this thinking it was a diy.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

A key head swap using existing (working) internals is an easy DIY. Anything else, like programming, needs to go to the dealer.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 AM
V225
Racer

Got it! The original works fine, mainly doing this for looks.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

I'm pretty sure the "pill" is fine, the key works manually in the door lock to lock/unlock and in the ignition. It's the signal from the alarm that is not being recognized by the car, so that is why I'm assuming I need a new circuit board. My mechanic said that he'd have to program it with the codes, maybe he assumed that the new key comes with a new pill? I don't know.... Either way, I just need it fixed because it's so annoying that I have 10 seconds to get the key into the ignition after unlocking the door, or else the alarm goes off! OR if you accidentally turn the key in the door lock the wrong way first, then the right way.. ALARM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

can ppl post some pics of there keys with the new heads?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

"standard" key transmitter head with code attached. Comes with new pill, circuit board and code attached. See post 4 for the 911 design key head
Attached Images  

Last edited by fpb111; 11-17-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spellin

Quick Reply: Need new remote key (head)