Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed a wired inline FM modulator to CDR23 (MOST)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone installed a wired inline FM modulator to CDR23 (MOST)?

I'm sick of listening to Pandora through my crappy wireless FM transmitter (Griffin)!

Does anyone have a wired inline FM modulator installed on their MOST 2003+ CDR23? I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Where is the wired FM connection in the car and what kind of adapter do I need?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The wired FM modulator I put in my Cayenne did not work that great, radio stations still could overpower it.

I think the only solution is a Dension gateway or Mobridge.
Thats what I had to do in my (MOST) Cayenne.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a wired FM modulator in mine. Locally, it does ok as there's no station on that frequency. Out of town I occasionally encounter a station that competes with it.

The music won't be as clear as a Dension. But at $59, I thought it was good enough--certainly better than the FM transmitter I tried. I listen to the tires and engine most of the time, so I wasn't willing to spend a lot for a significant upgrade to the stereo for the rare times I listen to it.

There wasn't any real "wiring." It has a connector that goes inline with the antenna wire, has a power source & an aux input wire. So, it didn't use any input connections on the CDR23. Works with MP3/iPod just fine. The signal is a little weak, so after I've turned up the volume enough to hear the external source well, I have to turn it down when I switch back to a CD/radio. For the price, it is fine.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I have a wired FM modulator in mine. Locally, it does ok as there's no station on that frequency. Out of town I occasionally encounter a station that competes with it.

The music won't be as clear as a Dension. But at $59, I thought it was good enough--certainly better than the FM transmitter I tried. I listen to the tires and engine most of the time, so I wasn't willing to spend a lot for a significant upgrade to the stereo for the rare times I listen to it.

There wasn't any real "wiring." It has a connector that goes inline with the antenna wire, has a power source & an aux input wire. So, it didn't use any input connections on the CDR23. Works with MP3/iPod just fine. The signal is a little weak, so after I've turned up the volume enough to hear the external source well, I have to turn it down when I switch back to a CD/radio. For the price, it is fine.
I'm with you; don't want to spend much $ either.

I can't find an installer near me who's done this on a P Car w/ MOST before and none of them want to poke around without knowing what they are getting into. Is this a DIY? Do I have to pull out the head unit?

What brand and model FM modulator do you have?

Can you tell me where exactly where the FM connector goes? Is it behind the CDR23 head unit?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

We're running a group buy on the Dension now....email me, ends tonight. No obligation, but cheapest price on the planet when we close out tonight.

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Roger Johnsen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had problem with both the wireless and inline modulators. I was able to get the wireless one working the best by getting it set to EUR frequencies; which tune lower than US. The CDR-23 can tune below US freq's as well so there's virtually no interference. In a 1800-mile trip I had 1 brief episode of interference.

Beware - once you get the reception problem solved, your going to run into more problems. For me it was fidelity. Make a CD of you iPod playlist and compare the CD to the iPod. It's like night and day. Once that came to light (and a ticket for cell phone use / not having bluetooth in L.A.) I decided it was time to upgrade the whole thing... It actually doesn't cost that much and is a huge improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: Anyone installed a wired inline FM modulator to CDR23 (MOST)?