996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rev limiter Hit

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I try to hit the limiter at least once on every drive, after proper warm-up of course.

I haven't hit it yet in 3rd or 4th. That should be fun!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hitting the rev limit once in a while is ok....but making it a habit ain't smart. Surely ur just kidding around right?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Hitting the rev limit once in a while is ok....but making it a habit ain't smart. Surely ur just kidding around right?
There is nothing wrong with hitting the limiter, and there is a good engine health-based argument for getting the revs up that high on a regular basis. Exceeding it, now that would be a problem. But that's why there's a limiter.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Down South
I try to hit the limiter at least once on every drive, after proper warm-up of course.

I haven't hit it yet in 3rd or 4th. That should be fun!
3rd gear is probably the best in my opinion!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
There is nothing wrong with hitting the limiter, and there is a good engine health-based argument for getting the revs up that high on a regular basis. Exceeding it, now that would be a problem. But that's why there's a limiter.
Good point Bruce. Over rev in downshift when you mean to up-shift is the killer....I think that is most affectionately called the "Money Shift".
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Multiple the rpms attained by 10 then devide by the gear in when hitting the rev limiter. Then multiply by the number of infractions given in a ticket.

[(rpmX10)/G]T+=Concern

Actually as long as your bearings are doing good and things are spinning balanced and good it is a good thing to check out the higher rpms once in a while. Believe it or not the higher rpms do make the pistons reach a little higher in the cylinder walls getting the pistons and rings to keep things cleaned off better. Bad thing to not be winding it out as a habit which allows laquers and carbon to build up and start screwing with your rings and peformance having the stuff there.
Is it true that it actually changes the piston travel?? I've never heard that before and can't see the theory?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Originally Posted by BruceP
Whiles its not bad to hit it on occasion, I certainly would not make a habit of banging the car off the limiter regularly.

chopperzzz, the piston travel changes by tiny amounts due to some stretch in the rods at those piston speeds.

The idea is that if you take it too easy, it builds up a carbon ridge in the cylinder, and then when you get on it, the ring catches that ridge and can be damaged.

Not a hugely valid concern in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe somebody can jog my memory, but I think there was a piece written about this quite recently, maybe in Excellence's series on the M96 engine. There was some kind of metallurgical phenomenon or something... anyway, it didn't argue for bouncing off the limiter per se, but it did argue persuasively for giving the car some serious spur on a regular basis. I've read similar advice in the past. The fact is that the engine's maximum output isn't far south of the redline, so I'm going to assume it's happy there.

Of course, as Sneaky Pete points out, the mechanical overrev or 'type 2' overrev is a whole 'nother story.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
ScrnPrntr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rev limiter counter is on its second time around.

my day is not complete unless i hit it at least twice and my active spoiler is "up"
Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
Is it true that it actually changes the piston travel?? I've never heard that before and can't see the theory?
I didn't believe it when I first read about it in a car magazine in the 60's. Try figuring this. The compression cycle has the pressure keeping the cylinder and rings pressed as low as possible. Also figure in the piston is not and exact fit which the rings make up for. So the there is a slight wobble available in piston travel. Anyway when you are hitting the higher revs the travel of the piston is faster thus getting more momentum to get higher in the cylinder fighting the compression cycle.

For a real good one if you want higher revs out of an engine go for a looser fitting piston and make up for it with the rings. Trick is the lower tolerence pistons have the piston travel sticking to a more straight up and down force which eats power slamming the tdc and bottom. Looser pistons allow a slight arc. Yah believe it or not I'm not BSing you on this stuff above.

This one is secret.
I put a Kailua Kona turtle decal on my back winshield for more power
Busted a motor mount when I got back last summer and put it on. You can feel the real power gain
http://www.tikitoes.com/html/4inchstickers.html
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "shift indicator" is in place so you don't damage the engine. If you hit it and the light comes on and revs go no higher then it is doing its job. They wouldn't set it to where you would do damage and then the indicator would come on.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
Last night on my way home I hit the rev limiter, had never done that before.
Was in first and thought I was in second, (can you tell I drive an automatic alot).

How worried should I be?
No need to worry.

You are lucky you have a Guards red car, they love being taken to the rev limiter.

However, as far as the other colors...
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rwiii
The "shift indicator" is in place so you don't damage the engine. If you hit it and the light comes on and revs go no higher then it is doing its job. They wouldn't set it to where you would do damage and then the indicator would come on.

Does the traction control(caution) light come on when you hit the rev limiter?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Unhappy

Ask Tippy about the Money Shift...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

My '84 911 with a higher numerical rear-end ratio would get to the redline in 3rd gear between Turns 8 and 9 at Watkins Glen each lap. I didn't want to upshift into 4th for 1 second and have to downshift for Turn 9, so I would just let the engine speed be checked by the rev limiter.

I did this for YEARS. The car now has 130+K miles on it, of which probably 40K at least are track miles.
The engine has never been out of the car. No valve jobs, rings, zip.

Bumping into the rev limiter didn't hurt the car at all.

Quick Reply: Rev limiter Hit