Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help needed trying to work out a definitive minimum wheel offset.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
deja
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed trying to work out a definitive minimum wheel offset.....

Hi...

I'm a long time member, but a very infrequent poster I'm afraid.

So, with this being my first post in the 996 forum, I guess I better start out like a newbie...

I'm lucky enough to be the guardian of 2 P-cars...
The first is my 951 Cab, which I've had the last 6 years or so. I've had a long line of 951s (and other 944 related hardware) since my first 951 in 1999.
The second is my 996 C2 Manual, which is my first 996, and it's been my daily driver for the last 2 years.

The 996 is a 2000 MY car, with a MY02 Facelift. It's got a whole host of changes to be honest, and as soon as I can take some pics I'll post them up (yep, in 2 years I've not taken a single picture.... too busy driving!)

Anyway that aside, I'm in the middle of toying with wheel upgrades.

What I'm after help on, is finding the definitive maximum measurements with regard to offset for these NB cars.

Now, I totally understand offset, and how a wheel's offset is measured and what that means when comparing two different wheel widths and offsets.

What I don't know is the theoretical minimum offset for any given wheel width, or more simply, the maximum distance from the wheel hub to the outer rim edge, so as not to cause any body contact on a NB 996.

I've worked out the inset measurement on the rear - I reckon 206mm is the maximum from the mounting face to the inner rim edge before the tyre (assuming the width of the tyre is correct for the wheel rim width) comes into contact with the suspension.
No Idea of the front measurement - I'm not too concerned with that right now.

But what is the theoretical maximum measurement to the outer rim edge, on the rear of the car?

At the moment, I'm running OE 18" Turbo II wheels - the optional NB fitment ones. They are a 10 inch rim with a 65mm offset, meaning there is 62mm from wheel hub to outer edge.
Obviously, these wheels have no clearance issues.

So, as an example, the OE Turbo II wheels for wide-body cars are 11 inch wide, with a 45mm offset, which gives a measurement of 94.7mm from wheel hub to outer edge.
I guess most of us know these don't fit NB cars - they stick out too far.

Therefore, a figure somewhere between 62mm and 94.7mm is maximum measurement from hub to wheel outer edge that can be used on a NB car.

Does anyone know what this figure is!?

From that figure, it's easy to calculate the minimum offset for any given wheel width, and thus work out what's gonna fit, and what's gonna end up back on ebay....

Any help greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If no one has any idea of the figure I'm after, perhaps a few people could comment on what size and offset wheels they are running, and what body contact issues they have experienced (with standard, non-rolled arches)

Thanks!

Last edited by deja; 11-09-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I think I'm about as close as you want to get. I'm running Carrera III wheels and the fronts are 8x18 offset 57. I bought them with a 235 tire and it just contacted spring/perch when mounted. I dropped to a 225 tire and all is well.

-Shawn
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

what size wheel do you want to run 18'/19" diam or 10"/11 width wheels? if 18"D and 11"W, I would suggest GT3 offsets..... to me this spec is about maximum I would want to go.

and yeah.... you need to post up some pics.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

"maximum offset" is a little more complicated than your math above.
to determine if a wheel will clear either a WB or NB, one needs to know
1) offset
2) wheel width
3) camber
4) ride height
5) tire size
6) brand / style of tire
7) front or rear

The 18x11 et 45 WB wheels you mentioned may actually fit an NB depending on the other above details. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

assuming 11J, street car, not sticking out, narrow body, standard fenders:

62 is around max, gt3 is 63. tire sizes, even tire brand, and toe/camber will play a role at the extremes of fitment

below 60 definitely sticks out in an 11
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry and fronts et40 8.5j

and before Tim rips you a new one, POST A PIC!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sweet gezus, you have been here for 6 years and only 27 posts.... and worse yet..... NO PICS?!?!?!?!

Usually this is reserved for Newbies, but in your case, I'll make an exception. Come on, post the @#$%^&* pics!

Quick Reply: Help needed trying to work out a definitive minimum wheel offset.....