Coolant expansion tank, mileage, and clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Nosoup4u
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant expansion tank, mileage, and clutch questions

Hi all -

I need to replace my coolant expansion tank and received some suggestions from a dealership.

a) any particular forum supporters that I should purchase it from (with a relatively decent price vs. the $300+ that dealer wants).

b) any other parts that I should consider replacing when doing the expansion tank? (p/n's would be appreciated - but, name of part would be good as well).

c) I have a 2002 996 3.6L with 44K miles on it. I have the oil changed every year -- but, I only put a few thousand miles on it each year. The dealer was recommending I do a full 60K service on it because of the age. I've done the 40K service and the 45K service is coming up (if going by mileage).

should I just plan on doing the 60K service? It's almost 2-3x cost of the 45K. The dealership is Porsche of Tyson's Corner in NoVA.

They also suggested I replace the clutch - but, it seems fine. If I do the clutch, should I do the RMS seal as well (I do not have a leak; but, is it good maintenance)? What other items should I consider replacing if the clutch is done? They said the clutch is a major job; but, with the 60K service - they said it's cheaper to do at that time?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

a. Sunset or Suncoast about the same price-$204. for coolant tank for a MY99/00...$99.95 for your year
b. coolant level sensor under $20.,cap under $15
c.look at the list for a 60k, you can do most if not all yourself
d.why replace clutch? what are your symptoms?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

like Barn996 said while you are doing the Tank do the Sensor and Cap aswell, parts can be found here http://www.suncoastparts.com/categor...erCooling.html and take it to a Respected Local Indy that deals with European cars
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have no warranty do like Zookie said and find an independant P-car shop to do the work.

Most of the big services are check this and check that. You could order the air filter & cabin air filter when you order the expansion tank and replace them in 5 minutes. Or you can pay the dealer upwards of $200 to do so.

Do not replace the clutch if it is working properly. Same goes for the RMS seal.

During your next oil change have your mechanic take a sample and send it to Blackstone labs for an oil analysis. That will let you know how your engine is wearing and whether you should upgrade the IMS.

Now if you do the clutch, or the RMS, or the IMS, you should definately do all 3 at the same time. Saves on labor.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
deleonl1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say go see this guy for a second opinion:

http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

just re-read your post, it sounds like Tyson Porsche is trying to Sell You Out on Service, do this, do that and do what not... I suggest you find another Porsche Dealer near-by.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Nosoup4u
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the responses. I appreciate it. The closest Porsche dealership I know of would be Porsche of Arlington (quite a hike for me) or Rockville Porsche (also a hike). The CPO expired awhile back in 2008. I think it had around 40-41K when it expired.

Thanks for the link to Taylor's deleon - I live in reston and try to avoid the springfield mixing bowl to the greatest extent possible. I am wondering if there is a closer indy shop.

Barn996 - is there a reason why prices are so different? Why would a 99/00 cost almost double the 01+? 01 would still be a 3.4L engine ...

The reason they recommended replacing the clutch is that there is some 'weepage' around the RMS seal. They said it is not leaking or dripping anything, but, they think because I do not drive it enough - that it is moist and it is good preventive maintenance before it becomes serious. So, they recommended replacing the RMS seal and doing the clutch.

I need to research IMS then since someone indicated all 3 should be done .... I am not trying to get upsold; but, do not mind if it saves on labor. I plan on keeping this vehicle for quite a while (at least in the foreseeable future). Driven the newer 997's ... and while I like them - the price differential is not enough to justify the upgrade to me (at least right now).
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to some of the sites like Suncoast.com and look for coolant tanks, there are 2 different tanks depending on your model year. The 99-00 tank is much bigger than the newer one, so Porsche made a change in size and design.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosoup4u
Thanks for the link to Taylor's deleon - I live in reston and try to avoid the springfield mixing bowl to the greatest extent possible. I am wondering if there is a closer indy shop.
I know what you mean about avoiding the mixing bowl. I used to live in Springfield and work in Herndon. You could always take the Fairfax County Parkway down to Springfield. Unfortunately, It seems that most people in the DC area recommend Taylor. I've never used this place, but here's a place you could check out: www.funktionauto.com .
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
a. Sunset or Suncoast about the same price-$204. for coolant tank for a MY99/00...$99.95 for your year
b. coolant level sensor under $20.,cap under $15
c.look at the list for a 60k, you can do most if not all yourself
d.why replace clutch? what are your symptoms?
+1 Good advice
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also a shop in Chantilly IMA and I've heard good things about them (But have not had any direct experience with them). I did get a chance to visit their shop and it's quite nice. Also, Intersport is pretty good too and fairly reasonable (I've had experience with them).

If you're going to do a RMS seal, now is the time to think about swapping out the IMS Bearing for one of the available since it's all going to be apart anyway.

Quick Reply: Coolant expansion tank, mileage, and clutch questions