Sponsored by:

SIDE SKIRTS .

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SIDE SKIRTS .

Hello I bought some skirts for my 996 c2 X 51 2003, I would like to mount them. The seller also sent me the black mastic. Does putting the glue or adhesive?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not quite sure what your asking, Are they factory?
Mine are mounted with factory screws and locations, they do have seems to have adhesive tape as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I used the top quality GE silicon I could find and only two screws on each end that went into a pre-existing set of holes. I also covered the screw (Stainless) threads with silicon as a barrier for metal reaction / water barrier. You won’t need to use any of the epoxy that comes with some skirts or any of the screws / rivets (!!) either. Please don’t drill into your car – you’ll regret it. Just make sure you clean the contact area religiously with an auto body shop quality paint cleaner / wax stripper and do it twice changing the clothes between cleanings. And get two stools to sit on for you and a friend as it's impossible do to properly on your own. FYI: The mastic tape (you peal the wax paper off) is used just as a quick placement device while the glue is setting.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

The skirts are not original but are identical. They told me to give the rivets or screws below the black mastic on the side where the door and the two clips in front and behind. If I put the adhesive holds? The original did not have the screws in?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ale-Superbike
The skirts are not original but are identical. They told me to give the rivets or screws below the black mastic on the side where the door and the two clips in front and behind. If I put the adhesive holds? The original did not have the screws in?

Don't use the rivits - they are not stainless and if you ever need to remove the skirts it's a bigger problem then you want. Use a high quaility screw and look for a spot you can drill (if you find you have to) through that will allow for easy acess later - such as fender lip. The rear wheel well I used the screw hole that the little rubber aero part was screwed into and that you remove anyway when installing the skirts. Up front I used a stainless thin bolt, lockwasher and nut to go through a hole used by a clip.

Yes - adhesive holds but don't use the epoxy type that comes with some of these kits. You'll never get the skirts off without damaging the paint. Say you have an incident where the skirts are damaged and you need to take them off to repair or replace - if you've used the two part expoxy you'll have more problems then you want. Use the silicone I talked about but make sure it is industrial quaility not the Home Depot homeowner stuff. There isn't a lot of air pressure on these skirts so the amount of 'hold' you need isn't like your trying to glue a rearwing on your car and then go 300Kph.

I used something called GE SCS1200 Construction grade. The specs said up to 480psi tensile strength and temp range of -48C to 150C so I figure I'm good on the temp's issue!! It sets in 10 minutes and cure takes about a day depending on outside temp's. Make sure you install the skirts on a day where your somewhere between 20C and 30C. If not find a warm garage.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

So even black silicone?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ale-Superbike
So even black silicone?
I would look at the spec's on the products home page. You don't want a sealant - you want an adhesive - these are two different things. Google GE's products spec sheets or any other company you can find online that sells in your area. Some of those black silicone items are for water proofing. The GE adhesives have a chemical reaction when they hit air and give off some sweet smelling vapors as the the product begins to set-up. I used masking tape (painting trim type -the green tape) to hold the skirt onto the car so we could get to each end and put in the screw/bolts.

You'll have to either jack up the car or use floor jacks as you can't put the skirts on with the wheels in place espy the rear wheels - or at least I found it impossible anyway. You can get the small plastic wind deflector off with a stubbie Philips screwdriver but the rears at least have to come off as you can't get any tool near the back end of the skirt without the wheel off. I did a brake inspection at the same time anyway.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

Edit- you must be a rennlist member to sell items. - Marc
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

Uppppppppp .

Quick Reply: SIDE SKIRTS .