Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 40th Anniversary Owners - Verdict?
Awesome car - love it!
56.10%
Great car - but not perfect.
23.17%
Decent car - but 'ratty' 996TT is the way to go.
17.07%
Unworthy car - many downfalls.
3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

40th Anniversary 911 - Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
hi!
I am late to the party but I have been a 996 AE owner since September 2010 here in Seattle.

Absolutely love it.

Ordered and received an alcantara steering/gear **** plus a short shifter that I need to install (from Suncoast).
Congrats on #405!

I would love to see pics of the alcantara in our interior. Is the steering wheel thicker?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it has been 6 years now since I bought my 40th Anniversary (#1034) from new. I still love it and have been a very happy owner since! I'd still take it over a first gen 997S.
It has a unique soul and character which I appreciate - especially here in Los Angeles - where there's a high density of 911's running around everywhere.
I have taken it extensively on road trips - Yosemite, Grand Canyon, up/down Big Sur, etc. And is a great road trip vehicle - you learn very quickly how to pack efficiently and 2 adults and 1 kid can travel comfortably on multi-day roadtrips.
Drive all your choices and decide for yourself which is best. Everyone has different purposes, needs and expectations when it comes to cars - the 40th Aniv meets all of mine.

BTW - I sampled the new 911 Carrera GTS this morning.... and started the lust bug... but upon return to my 40th Aniv, I was reminded how much I enjoy it and plan to keep it.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
skullcap
Track Day

thanks, MiamiC70! I will check that out!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey All,
Haven't been here since I originally posted.

I will be back with pictures very soon.

Just wanted to share a story here:

I have been trying a lot of other 911s lately. I had this funky idea to change my 40th.
So I went to Park Place LtD in Bellevue and tried a 997 C2 and a 993 4s. I then went to Honda Bellevue, they had a 996TT mint.

These 3 cars are still for sale and all of them are great.
I will have to say that my favorite one was the 993 4S. It felt great to be in such a superb car and you feel like you don't need more power, you are just enjoying the ride.

The non-S 997 was cool too. It is unbelievably comfortable and roomy.

Finally, the 996 TT was perfect. Everything they say is true... it is a missile.

The reason I went to try those is because I was looking for a smoother ride. Like I said in my first posting here, I find the 996 40th to be really harsh. These 3 cars are smoother. They are also more expensive... but more importantly, they are not IMHO as much of a thriller than the 40th!

I can guarantee that the 997 is slower and is completely disconnected from the road. It is a great car but it is more of a BMW feel...

The 993 4s is a classic and is my favorite. It is much slower though; it is just a different trip. It would be my first choice if I was to change mine.

The 996 TT is perfectly... digital... German efficiency to the max... super fast, but again, IMHO, not a lot more than the 996 40th. And on small, winding road, not as fun! And that's the point isn't it?

So, rather than to spend an extra few thousand dollars to change the car, I went to Aker's on Capitol Hill and got an appointment to install a FabSpeed Exhaust and Cold Air Intake.

I talked to Mark over there after he drove my car. Mark is cool and drives 911 all the time. He said it was the first time he drove a NA 996 that felt this way and was that fast (not including the GT3, a purpose built car). He is actually the one who said, keep this car!

So here I am now: I have been complaining about the harsh ride and rather than to change the car and get something smoother... I decided to go ALL IN and change the exhaust and the cold air intake. I guess that is what we do as Porsche fans… consider softer and then go harder!

Great experience anyway; felt like sharing.

By the way, I love the alcantara steering and the 997 shifter.
I am driving it everyday and I am only at 24K Miles (I reported more miles earlier cause I actually never checked)

Cheers to the 996 40th anniversary edition, a truly unique 996.

Pierre.

Pictures as soon as I install the fabspeed.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Balefire,

Didn’t see your question. The alcantara steering is not a thicker that I know of, but for some reason it actually feels thicker and somewhat smaller. it is the best upgrade I have done. Thought the OEM steering is too slippery.... BTW, do you think I can sell th OEM steering wheel (W/O Airbag) and the OEM shifter and ****?

Pierre.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Beaglehusky
Intermediate

Default #669

I bought #669 last October from a guy who took excellent care of it (Thanks Mitch!!). I absolutely love it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Holy old thread batman! I recently started researching 996 911s for a potential great daily driver. I currently have a '15 Golf R as a DD, and GT4 for track/weekend fun. I got to thinking, what 911 is <40k and is fun to drive daily? I find the Golf boring, so I'm going to get rid of it.

I've considered:

996 C2
996 C4S
997.1 C2
997.1 C2S - very high mileage

I like the idea of the 996 AE because it is a special edition, with the go fast parts up to 345hp, better suspension, and a decent mix of options. Some time has passed so now for <40k one can get a 997 C2, C2S (mileage / option mix of course changes the price) However most of the 997s I've seen online you can tell are super thrashed even just seeing the pics. The bonus of the 996 is that it seems to fly under the radar a bit. I won't be worrying about where I park it, and if it gets a ding etc..

So all of you 40th Jahre 911 owners: what is your 2016 update? Still like the car? Can you compare it to 997? All thoughts/opinions welcome.

FWIW I read through this thread and others: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nd-faq-58.html

I wanted a 2016 take on what people think about the driving experience specifically. As close as stock as possible (obv, if I buy one I'm going to get some RMS/IMS mitigation done, still pricing that out)

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...y-and-faq.html

a long history of 40th owners

I really like mine, just over 2 years in almost 8k added to the odo
I purchased a 26k car and after driving it for a thousand miles, decided to have the
IMSB done for peace of mind
depending on your expectations from a C2, the car may need nothing or everything

the X51 affords a little better oiling and cooling, the front radiators are from the Turbo
not things you'd ever notice unless you were to research tracking the car

it's quiet, way too quiet an aftermarket exhaust or having the mufflers modified is
just about mandatory

M030 suspension is adequate, but can be harsh for long term ownership
coilovers or upgraded struts greatly improve the ride

because 996, you may want to change the shifter to a 997 or 997GT3 short shift kit
improves the driving experience quite a bit

I wasn't a fan of the polished wheels and found a set that afforded another inch on the front
and rear, this improved the tracking pretty dramatically
you can accomplish nearly the same with spacers

get the IMS bearing done, the X51 is far too expensive of a motor to toast
the extra power is there, but mostly above 4k
its exceptional on the highway at speeds of 80 and and above, this is where
the car wants to run

the GT Silver is a nice change from Arctic or Polar, when its detailed it looks like money

the Aluma touches in the interior are nice, as is the full leather interior, hardback seats are cool
but not required
the painted console is a nice feature

call it a parts car, it's a C2 with optional paint, an expensive motor, a special badge, some aero
parts and optional suspension

once sorted to what you expect from a 911, they are remarkably nimble thru traffic
now that mine is set up to my liking, I'm commited to at least 4 or 5 years more of
ownership

Last edited by Fracture; 10-22-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:24 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Very good write up. If I do get the 40th AE I will have the engine refreshed. Not sure how far I intend to go, but we shall see. I'm working on scheduling a call with Jake from Flat6 innovations to understand all scenarios and associated costs. I'm looking to this car for maybe a long term DD for up to 100k miles plus so the mechanical updates are a must. But I'm gonna drive one first.

For what it's worth I think Porsche does "parts car" very well. I'm loving my GT4. So I'm not too worried about how fancy / unique or prestigious the car is. I want a 911 that makes me happy to drive on a daily basis without going overboard cost wise. If the 996 isn't for me I may just hunt around for something else fun.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Very good write up. If I do get the 40th AE I will have the engine refreshed. Not sure how far I intend to go, but we shall see. I'm working on scheduling a call with Jake from Flat6 innovations to understand all scenarios and associated costs. I'm looking to this car for maybe a long term DD for up to 100k miles plus so the mechanical updates are a must. But I'm gonna drive one first.

For what it's worth I think Porsche does "parts car" very well. I'm loving my GT4. So I'm not too worried about how fancy / unique or prestigious the car is. I want a 911 that makes me happy to drive on a daily basis without going overboard cost wise. If the 996 isn't for me I may just hunt around for something else fun.
Find a certified installer nearby and do the IMS Solution maybe a Fister exhaust and call it a day. Car is great and the X51 doesn't need much.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was quoted $5600 for the IMS solution from a certified installer. I feel this is a lot and I'm checking with another shop that doesn't do the "solution" but does the roller bearing. Waiting for a written price on that but on the phone he said somewhere between $2000-2300. Much more manageable for me and IIRC has a 6 year or 75K mile lifespan. Should be enough for me. BTW I'm in the Northeast and there's only one certified installer reasonably close to where I live.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I was quoted $5600 for the IMS solution from a certified installer. I feel this is a lot and I'm checking with another shop that doesn't do the "solution" but does the roller bearing. Waiting for a written price .
seems high for just 'the solution'
JR / Flat 6 likes to bundle other things into the preventative packages
like AOS, RMS, water pump, clutch & pressure plate & bearing

after prequalifying, and he's pretty firm on this
Old 10-23-2016, 12:06 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I was quoted $5600 for the IMS solution from a certified installer. I feel this is a lot and I'm checking with another shop that doesn't do the "solution" but does the roller bearing. Waiting for a written price on that but on the phone he said somewhere between $2000-2300. Much more manageable for me and IIRC has a 6 year or 75K mile lifespan. Should be enough for me. BTW I'm in the Northeast and there's only one certified installer reasonably close to where I live.
Did you get a written quote and if so what did it include. I just paid $4,500 to a certified installer for IMS Solution, RMS, AOS and clutch - couldn't be more satisfied.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:03 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fracture
seems high for just 'the solution'
JR / Flat 6 likes to bundle other things into the preventative packages
like AOS, RMS, water pump, clutch & pressure plate & bearing

after prequalifying, and he's pretty firm on this
What do you mean? Does he run credit? Or just talk to see if he wants to do business?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

http://flat6innovations.com/index.ph...ntion-packages

http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/

The L & N type bearings are sold to both certified and uncertified shops, as well as the general
public
Certified shops have to attend his classes to earn and maintain the certification, they don't just toss it out to anyone
Flat 6 & certified shops follow protocol before doing any work to verify that the engine
is not in a stage of failure

Quick Reply: 40th Anniversary 911 - Any good?