Sponsored by:

Rattling from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM
RWRSMART
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling from steering wheel

My low mileage 20k 2004 Carrera 4s has now developed a pretty constant rattling sound from the steering wheel, caused by vibration from the road surface. If I tap the steering wheel with the car turned off can hear it. Not loud ~ just annoying as hell. Any ideas on the cause? thanks for reading and any help you can offer.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome,

Post some pics of that car!! Interior as well if you can!

Rattle noises are very annoying! Almost everyone can probably relate... Try applying pressure in different area's/parts of the steering wheel components, see which part is causing the rattle... Once you find that out, you can find a solution to the problem by manipulating that part or tightening certain screws/bolts.

Mine is currently making a funny noise when I turn the steering wheel (plastic squeek noise).

Not sure where you are located, but once the colder weather hits, you start to get new noises!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

Pull the wheel off, it's not hard to do. Just make sure you disconnect the battery.
Topaz, I had the squeak as well, went away when I replaced the clock spring to fix an airbag light issue.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Welcome to Rennlist!

Pull the wheel off, it's not hard to do. Just make sure you disconnect the battery.
Topaz, I had the squeak as well, went away when I replaced the clock spring to fix an airbag light issue.
The squeak only happens when the interior cabin is cold. Once it warms up the squeak goes away. Was this the same symptom you had for the clock spring? or was it continuous?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM
RWRSMART
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found It with your help! Turned out to be the speaker mount in front of the instrument panel. Followed Topaz330ci's suggestion (thanks T!) and with a few turns of a couple of screws - gone. Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated ~ rwrsmart
I live in Dubai, never gets cold, but wish you luck with the weather noises %-)

Quick Reply: Rattling from steering wheel