Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tempted by Conti Extreme Contact DWS all-seasons!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Any updates? How did the Conti's do this summer?
Quite well for my use. They are still very quiet and sure-footed, even in some of the torrential downpours we have seen this summer. They definitely give up a little bit of feel and sharpness compared to the Pilot Sports the car had previously, but nothing that I really notice in regular driving.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kr3678
Quite well for my use. They are still very quiet and sure-footed, even in some of the torrential downpours we have seen this summer. They definitely give up a little bit of feel and sharpness compared to the Pilot Sports the car had previously, but nothing that I really notice in regular driving.
Sounds good to me! For my occasional spirited drive on the weekends, I really don't need two sets of wheels and tires. And, with my back not in great shape, changing the wheels every 6 months is getting OLD fast!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned what the DWS stands for, dry, wet and snow. Guess what's the first to go??.........the snow capability-you can see the 'S' in the tread going away along with the snow capability. I run them on my Volvo 850 R dd, but here in PA where you are either going up a hill or down one, snow tires are the way to go. I did run the DWS's in the snow and it's not even close to running dedicated snow tires. Someone mentioned something about a soft sidewall, see if the size is available in an XL load rating, it's got a stiffer sidewall. I replaced a set of non XL Conti Extreem Contacts with the XL DWS tires and it was a very noticeable. A bit firmer ride but turn in was markedly better. Just my $.02...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Partsguy
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned what the DWS stands for, dry, wet and snow. Guess what's the first to go??.........the snow capability-you can see the 'S' in the tread going away along with the snow capability. ...
Any idea how long / how many miles it takes to wear off the "S" treads? And, when the S wears off, are they still all-season enough to not turn to hockey pucks in the cold - like summer tires do?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Any idea how long / how many miles it takes to wear off the "S" treads? And, when the S wears off, are they still all-season enough to not turn to hockey pucks in the cold - like summer tires do?
"My "S" is gone.... 11K miles. But than the Cayenne weighs a bit ore than a 996
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
"My "S" is gone.... 11K miles. But than the Cayenne weighs a bit ore than a 996
So maybe 15k for a 996? Question is, are your DW tires still OK in the cold? Or does the "S" give them their all-season capability? Know what I mean?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

So maybe 15k for a 996? Question is, are your DW tires still OK in the cold? Or does the "S" give them their all-season capability? Know what I mean?
The S just means there is enough safe tread left for snow... should be a fun winter
Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So when the "Snow" tread wears down, you are left with an all season tire that can handle dry and wet, but not snow - right?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

So when the "Snow" tread wears down, you are left with an all season tire that can handle dry and wet, but not snow - right?
Correct!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the dry wet ones on at the first of the month. They tend to track some on grooved sections of hwy during dry conditions. The sidewalls aren't as stiff but they do seem to track well in wet and thick water. I didn't bother to test the trackability while in deep water too much at uh extra speed since other cars were around. But the tires did seem to cut through the water with out a noticeable hydroplane when entering the deep water coming out of the tunnel into the heavy rain. Guys in front of me forced me to slow during the best part of the heavy rain but the tires did seem ok at extra speed levels.

I ony eat shaved ice / snow cones. I save the driving in snow for when I don't know better
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

The more I read about the DWS the less I want them. Seems a bunch of people say they vibrate and shimmy - which I can't stand!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 PM
kr3678
Instructor

The more I read about the DWS the less I want them. Seems a bunch of people say they vibrate and shimmy - which I can't stand!
I haven't experienced that so far, but admittedly I only have about 3K miles on them. I can't stand vibrations and shimmies either, so I hope that isn't in my future. Time will tell, I guess...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hope the reports of vibrations are limited to people with either bad balancing, or, bent rims!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Thiss ^^ should be required viewing for anyone who believes that "all season" tires are anything but a compromise tire.

A/S tires provide less than optimal summer or winter grip, period.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope the reports of vibrations are limited to people with either bad balancing, or, bent rims!
I can't speak for everyone, but my experience has been very satisfying in all seasons, with 20,000+ miles on this set of tires. No vibration, no adverse handling/ride from bad wheel balancing, or any other negative characteristics. Keep in mind, too,we have very few days of snow covered roads since state, county, and local governments are usually diligent about snow removal.

For more information from people who have bought these tires, Tire Rack presents extensive survey results on its website, and also tests tires. As I recall, these tires were rated by their owners as pretty competent in winter/snow conditions for what is basically a modern, advanced design all-season radial tire.

Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: Tempted by Conti Extreme Contact DWS all-seasons!