Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tempted by Conti Extreme Contact DWS all-seasons!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

When I drove with my Pirelli P-Zeros on snow, I would brake for a stop sign at 5 - 10 mph and it would take me a HUGE amount of time to stop... PSM and ABS kicking in like crazy. Also, when I finally got home, I couldn't make it up my driveway, which at that time was not very steep.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Have you skied yet Dennis?
Not yet. I'm dying to get out there, but haven't yet had time. Arapaho Basin and Loveland are now open, and we have lots of snow in the forecast. I'm hoping to get out between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and certainly plan to spend lots of time on the slopes from January through April.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, frankly here's my take on it:

1. Not all all-season tires are created equal - just like not all summer or winter tires are created equal. There's a great variation to them - I personally have experienced enormous swings in traction, wear performance from tire to tire - even in the same category.

2. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S seem quite well rated for all year use - including light snow and slush - which is the limit to which I will drive the P car during the winter. I have the luxury of dedicated parking spots at both home and at work, and I live 7 mins from my office - so if it gets crappy, I'm taking the cab.

3. Before getting into P cars, I drove mostly BMW's with REAR wheel drive for 20 years with all season tires and the differences between the different all-season tires (contitouring, Michelin MXV4, Goodyear Eagle RSA etc etc) were HUGE during winter and summer driving. The Michelin was HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the rest, but were always 50% - 100% more expensive than the Continental or Goodyears.

4. When I want to go very fast, I track my car at a track - not the street. And for that I will use a dedicated setup

5. Regarding the question on whether the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S has better traction on DRY roads in cold weather than Michelin X Ice or Dunlop Wintersports, I have to dig up the source - but I do recall that in a traction test they did better on DRY roads in the cold (and of course crappier in the snow/ice)

6. So I am going to be guinea pig and try these out and report back so please quit lecturing me. I made the investment already, and I'm going to try these out and report back - so why not wait for the results. It's not like I just criticized your religion or family...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911FM
Was tempted by the same choice. Seems that they are getting good reviews and great traction on light snow. Would put them on my 17s and purchase a separate set of 18s with track tires.

FM
Got Conti DWS installed last week-end. So far, so good.

FM
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked what I read in a test track report on the conti extreme contacts where they were tsted along side of big name tires. They are actually better than most big price tires in dry and a lot better in wet. They are exactly that (extreme contact) in dry and wet. Snow has to have ice and snow tires as far as I think. Been there and done that hopelessly wondering where the car will end up sliding away.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The damn Conti DWS is on national backorder, wanted a set for one of my other cars.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
The damn Conti DWS is on national backorder, wanted a set for one of my other cars.
I thought you liked the Bridgestone Potenza 960 A/S better than the Conti's ?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyK
I thought you liked the Bridgestone Potenza 960 A/S better than the Conti's ?

Bridgestone not available in size and the continentals get great reviews.
But the 960 is a nice tire.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
mckend
3rd Gear

Default conti extreme contact tires

Bought a set of these. I have run bridgestone pole positions and also p zeros
on my car. The contis are quiter that either , and make the ride a little softer.
I would also say that they are not as tight in handling. Bridgestones are the best in that dept due to very stiff sidewalls.

Contis should wear much longer based on ratings. Much cheaper to buy. < $900 tire rack for 4 tires. The contis are great in rain and are a good tire with
fine performance. You lose a very slight amount of handling and gain $400 for
spending on other things every 18 mos.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Xeattle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
We have the Contis on our Cayenne, but I wouldn't put them on the C4S.
Why woudn't you put them on the C4S...Is there any issue with going from rear 305 width to 295 as far as the viscous coupling is concerned?

I've got them on a 996 C4 and a GT3 for normal daily driving duties.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 PM
kr3678
Instructor

I recently put a set of 18" Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on my '99 Carrera 4. So far, I have been very happy with them. I was able to work a deal to get a set of 4 from the local Discount Tire for $830 installed. Then, I sold my 2 take off front Michelin Pilot Sports for $110 on ebay, making my price out the door $720.

They are much quieter than the Michelins were and so far I haven't noticed any significant handling deficiencies. Bear in mind, I do not normally encounter snow and I do not track this car. Your usage and experiences may be different than mine...
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kr3678
I recently put a set of 18" Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on my '99 Carrera 4. So far, I have been very happy with them. I was able to work a deal to get a set of 4 from the local Discount Tire for $830 installed. Then, I sold my 2 take off front Michelin Pilot Sports for $110 on ebay, making my price out the door $720.

They are much quieter than the Michelins were and so far I haven't noticed any significant handling deficiencies. Bear in mind, I do not normally encounter snow and I do not track this car. Your usage and experiences may be different than mine...
Any updates? How did the Conti's do this summer?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyK
Any updates? How did the Conti's do this summer?
Doing pretty fine on my..... Cayenne
Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Doing pretty fine on my..... Cayenne
Har-har, you're a regular riot!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ContiExtremeContact DWS tires on my Boxster, which is my year-round daily driver. Do I like them...yes. Are they as good as a summer tire during summer months? No. Are they as good as a winter tire in the winter? No.

However, in my case, I have put convenience before all other considerations and having one set of wheels/tires as my objective has been satisfactorily achieved.

As an aside, I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my 911 which work great until the temperature sinks below 40 degrees.

Quick Reply: Tempted by Conti Extreme Contact DWS all-seasons!