996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Cabrio vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:24 AM
cpepper95129
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you aren't a serious buyer, but when you are good luck. rent each type you are interested in adn see if you like it. it's that easy to decide. game over.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by robrichtx
Hey, just for a follow up guys - I finally found my 996. I ended up going with a cabrio, since I already have a coupe, but I was undecided right up until the end. I sprung for a garnet red 2004 with 45K miles (one owner, local car). She's got a few minor things that need fixing, but overall, a joy to drive.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their opinions to this post - your voices were in my head as I looked from car to car (basically took 1 year from the date of this post).
Congrats on your 996! I'm sure that you will find this group very enthusiastic to help you sort out the issues with your car.

Post pics in a new thread so everyone can enjoy seeing your new car. (Remember, without pics, it didn't happen!)
Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations - Love those 2004 Cabrios!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by robrichtx
Hey, just for a follow up guys - I finally found my 996. I ended up going with a cabrio, since I already have a coupe, but I was undecided right up until the end. I sprung for a garnet red 2004 with 45K miles (one owner, local car). She's got a few minor things that need fixing, but overall, a joy to drive.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their opinions to this post - your voices were in my head as I looked from car to car (basically took 1 year from the date of this post).
Congrats from another Cab owner in TX.

I have a hardtop but here's a counter-intuitive thought. I typically have the hardtop on during June through September when temperature ranges from 80-110F.

It's just stupid to drive around in a convertible in 90+ scorching sunny weather in TX...

Hardtop comes off from Oct through June... where 50-70F driving with topdown is very enjoyable.

Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rxjohn
I have a hardtop but here's a counter-intuitive thought. I typically have the hardtop on during June through September when temperature ranges from 80-110F.

It's just stupid to drive around in a convertible in 90+ scorching sunny weather in TX...

Hardtop comes off from Oct through June... where 50-70F driving with topdown is very enjoyable.
That's funny, I do the same thing now. Kept my hardtop on all summer but in the "winter" (hard to call 50-60 degree days winter) I can actually put the top down!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on your 04 Porsche. Either way, you'll love your Porsche.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on your latest Porsche. You'll love the cabrio, IMHO. I just put the hard top on mine today and it's like a whole new car. I can't wait to rediscover the cab in the Spring. Drive and enjoy!!!! Glad Rennlist was helpful.q
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You made the right decision with the Cab, I don't know anyone that's regretted it.

Since my post #28 above over a year ago, I bought 996 a Turbo Cab 7 months ago. '04 < 17,500 miles as of today, enjoying the boost, but running around topless is even better. I've always perfered motorcycles to cages anyway.

Enjoy riding, I mean driving your Cab!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread made reference to a "touchless" car wash. I'm a wash by hand guy, but I'm interested in knowing what a touchless car wash is. Any explanation would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rxjohn
Congrats from another Cab owner in TX.

Enjoy!
I'm a cab owner in Colorado and love having the top off from April to November. Nothing beats a spirited drive with the open air. Love hearing the sound of the Fisters. I put the hard top on in mid-November and it is like driving another car. Much quieter, but comfortable in cold weather.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey cpepper95129 - I'll bet I'm a lot more serious of a buyer than you are a reader

Thanks Guys - here she is
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope you enjoy it. Once a year, clean the top & put a coat of Raggtop on it.

I sort of thought that '03 was the last year that came with a hard top at no extra charge -- did yours come with one? If so, when you put it on, consider spraying some Wurth dry ptfe lubricant around the front & rear edges to keep it from "groaning" when you angle up & down driveways.

One way it will save you money is that you generally don't hear cab owners trying one solution after another to make their exhausts louder.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Very nice indeed! Post a list of your options. It looks like a very well optioned car.

RF5BPilot, thanks for the tip on the Wurth dry ptfe lubricant. I will try it. It drives me crazy when the top creaks and groans pulling out of my garage!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Janusz
Instructor

It will sound somewhat pompous perhaps but since nobody seems to share, even partially, my strong opinion about coupe vs cab 911 let me spell it out:

IMO 911 is, and always will be, an iconic car which affects my emotions more then any other car ever made. Does not matter if it is 40 years old or this year production. For me it is not only mechanically perfect but the body shape and design is an art which always was and always will be looking beautiful, fresh and exciting.

But convertible, while being useful and well blended in no doubt, distracts my soul. Its like somebody went to The Louvre and while nobody was looking painted in the Gioconda picture a nice hat on her head. Nice looking, interesting and well designed hat. For somebody who had never seen an original painting the new and improved would look great perhaps. But not for me.

I like open top cars, had many of them and still have one. You can buy today a great convertible and enjoy it fully, the choice is huge.

But no 911 cab for me.

PS. The cab with hardtop on looks really sad. I am not surprised that hardly anybody uses this hardtop and they were never popular. This poor 911 is so sad because she knows what she could have been if she only had a proper roof...

It is Gioconda with a nose ring.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A beauty! Sadly mine is about to go to sleep for the winter but have fun, enjoy membership!

Me: I miss my old Porsche
Wife: You'll get another one day
Me: When
Wife: Some day...

(later)

(still later)

Me: Let's buy a sports car, after all, we can......
Wife: okay
(*snip* making longer story short)
Me: I'd really like a coupe
Wife: Nope, I want a convertible
Me: (to myself) well if a convertible is how I get back into a 911 so be it.

I have to admit, even though its rare that I put the top down, I don't mind the cab at all. The looks are a bit different but they're still very classic 911 and the car, oh the CAR! I just couldn't be happier!!

Quick Reply: 996 Cabrio vs. Coupe