996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another day at the track, but with rain..help with understeer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can feel your frustration but you're expecting a street car with pretty much stock suspension and street tires to respond like a well prepared race car. T9 is an understeering turn for most Porsches and you have to drive thru it correctly. It's a damn scary turn, I've ended up against the tire barriers on more occasions than I care to remember. In your case you need a late apex high off the right side getting back on the throttle at the bottom and tracking out under throttle. Yes a LSD would help you at that point, but not if you're in too early and lift. The diff may well then send you spinning. There's an art to driving a LSD correctly, but first you need some suspension and tires for the track. Oh and those H & R springs while looking great, are really not well suited for tracking with stock dampers. Start saving and buy used. There's always deals out there....

In no particular order I would start with shocks and springs (you don't need adjustability, just quality), adjustable sway bars front & rear with adjustable drop links, GT3 lower control arms for the front only (OEM rears can provide enough neg camber), and at least 8's & 10's with R-compound tires....
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to the track again tomorrow, and then the real decision to mod my car or buy one that is already track ready and sell my current car..
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh my god! First I should have bled my brakes before going, but it forced me to trailbrake, and all my problems with understeer quickly turned to oversteer. Drifted through 3 to 5 in the morning my passenger thought we were going to spin, but I was able to keep it on the asphalt. Someone mentioned the rotation of the car is somewhere around the front axels when it does oversteer, and I definitely noticed that today.

I was taking it easy the rest of the day, and just practicing the line, but still driving at a good clip, and a red e36 325 passed me going into turn 8, drifted sideways up the hill and flipped right in front of me. I did one more run and went home after that.

Yikes!

Quick Reply: Another day at the track, but with rain..help with understeer