Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2002 cab, gut wrenching phone call... IMS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by slashmatt
Just making sure I'm acting on valid data.

Here's some data. Momentum Porsche in Houston has never installed an upgrade bearing-I asked two eeks ago, but would do the work if I wanted. Houston is a car crazy city, and Momentum is a serious Porsch dealership. If there was a decently large group of owners doing the preventative replacement, why has such a large dealership never done one?
Some dealers will not do them, some dealers keep the Porsche party line that Vee haf no problem with zee motors!

There are some dealers that do them.

And to be fair I would bet that the majority of owners have an Indy mechanic do the work.

I am unsure how many owners are doing the upgrade, It would be interesting to see sales figures on the upgrade bearings. I am sure most "non hardcore enthusiast" 996 owners have no idea there is a problem anyways.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Matt is right. There has never been a documented failure that a delearship in Houston has admitted to. Therefore, it does not exist. I want $10k more for my 996.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
slashmatt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Some dealers will not do them, some dealers keep the Porsche party line that Vee haf no problem with zee motors!

There are some dealers that do them.

And to be fair I would bet that the majority of owners have an Indy mechanic the work.

I am unsure how many owners are doing the upgrade, It would be interesting to see sales figures on the upgrade bearings. I am sure most "non hardcore enthusiast" 996 owners have no idea there is a problem anyways.
I'm just suprised that a willing dealer would not have ever been asked to do the upgrade. Being a person that reserves the right to change my mind given a better set of evidence, I'll probably just get the Turbo - the tie to the GT1 and the modern performance characteristics of the car are really drawing me to it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
Already own one. 96 accord original owner 125k miles and still running strong.
I beat you! I have a 97 with 170 MILES and that's nothing! I had a 1990 accord a few years back that went to 360 Kilometers. I sold it for a thousand dollars once I finished with it!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slashmatt
This some serious business - likely to cost me $10K in transaction charges should I choose to sell my 996 because of the fear of an IMS failure and pick up a 996 turbo instead.

I feel like I'm about to make a mistake by selling a car that is going to give me years and years of trouble-free service.

Yep sell a perfectly good car that would(most likely)give you years of service,plus spend 10k you don't have to,or buy the upgrade and do the work yourself for under $800. It's a real head scratcher that's for sure. Troll.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What about cylinder scoring eh?

Read here and weep, http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...linder+scoring

Quick Reply: 2002 cab, gut wrenching phone call... IMS?