996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Where do you look for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

also try ruf auto center in dallas. they evaluate their cars carefully and can be trusted. i've had my 996 serviced by them for years. hans hoffman is the guy to talk to. he'll refer you to a sales guy, but ask hans any questions on service. what specifics are you looking for? we can all be looking.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by relinuca
As a first step, join PCA as their monthly magazine, Panorama, is worth the annual dues alone. Each month has lots of used Porsches listings, but be advised that the asking prices there are on the high side of the market. Call some sellers, most will appreciate your inquiry and will provide lots of helpful advice. And you just might find what you're looking for there.

relinuca
I certainly hope that I get more out of my PCA membership because I think Panorama magazine is a joke. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonheel
Thanks for all of the good advice. I have been spending way too much time looking online at the websites mentioned here. I purchased a 98 Mercedes years ago on Ebay and it worked out well, so I am not afraid to buy something sight unseen as long as I can get it checked out and have it vouched for.

I also have access to Manheim's website, and a friend who can purchase at auction. Prices this way are more competitive, but I lose the ability to have the car reviewed unless it is at an auction within a few hundred miles. Would you guys buy a car from auction like that without being able to have a more thorough inspection? What about if it allowed me to get a 997?

I have lurked here for a while and appreciate everyone's knowledge.
If you can get a little information on the car at auction before bidding post the info here and see if someone knows the car. Also, what type of savings are you looking at by going to auction? Will you break even if you have a major repair? Compare the cost of wholesale to retail or private sale.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonheel
Thanks for all of the good advice. I have been spending way too much time looking online at the websites mentioned here. I purchased a 98 Mercedes years ago on Ebay and it worked out well, so I am not afraid to buy something sight unseen as long as I can get it checked out and have it vouched for.

I also have access to Manheim's website, and a friend who can purchase at auction. Prices this way are more competitive, but I lose the ability to have the car reviewed unless it is at an auction within a few hundred miles. Would you guys buy a car from auction like that without being able to have a more thorough inspection? What about if it allowed me to get a 997?

I have lurked here for a while and appreciate everyone's knowledge.
I have purchased cars from Manheim, and my good friend buys two-three there per year for his personal use. I've spoken to him about buying a 911 from there in the past. His advice, given no chance for a PPI, is to make sure you buy and re-sell it while under warranty.

You get the occasional twin turbo that runs through Manheim (out of warranty), and one can only imagine what is ticking inside that engine - such that the owner is fire-saleing it through Manheim.

BTW, you can also check Excellence.com and the Porsche.com site for used 911s. Many go through Ebay, but don't sell. I think it is really more of a tool for the used car dealerships to generate interest and sell after the auction ends to some one who saw it and followed up.

Can't remember is someone already mentioned 6speedonline.com and renntech.org. Many 911s there too. Just plug 'em into your "Favorites"

My advice is to find a well sorted 911 from a caring owner that you can discuss the car with (or CPO from P-dealer is ok too in my book = $ premium). If my clutch was ready to go and other things were wrong with it that I didn't want to pay to fix, Manheim is a quick and easy way to unload it, at a discount.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

I use mainly autotrader because its the easiest search engine. You can easily specify coupe, cabrio, manual trans, etc. I stick to private sellers since they tend to have the service history and you can at least get some sense of the previous owner. A knowledgible owner will be able to give you info on things like most recent water pump, coil packs, RMS replacement, IMS inspection, clutch, etc. All the crap you're going to have to do if it hasn't already been done - plus I just hate dealing with dealers. I found my 928 on Autotrader.

Also check out Pelican classifieds, although a lot of those cars will be SCs, 3.2s, and 964s. Not a whole lot of 996s, but its a good site to watch.

PCA is good too. But my personal experience is that PCA classifieds tend to be a little optimistic on their asking price.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I found mine on Porsche.com as I wanted a CPO car.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely join PCA - Hurricane Region if you are Raleigh to the beach. A local tip: Leith Porsche in Cary actually sells some nice used 996s and 997s. They tend to go fairly quickly so don't show up on the internet. But if I know what you are looking for I can keep a look out, since I drive through there about twice a week ;-)

PCA and Rennlist can often be the solution to an initial look at a car you have found. The last two cars I bought were checked out for me by people I had never met. Worked like a charm!

One site that I used in my search was Search Tempest. It 'aggregates' Craigslist listings so that you can literally scroll through a search of the entire country. I initially found my current car on cars.com, but then found it on Craigslist locally in the Boston area where the owner was - for $1,000 less!

Between cars.com, autotrader and search tempest I think I looked at just about every car available in the country for 2 months before I found one with the options, color and condition I wanted. In addition to color it really helps if you decide on the types of options you want - PSM, full leather, Bose, Litronic etc. For examply I knew that I wanted Litronics and PSM in a red coupe. That made it much easier to peruse ads and automatically jump past cars that did not fit my list. Some would argue that you should keep your options open, but that worked well for me.

Good luck - and don't hesitate to ask for help, or even post what you are specifically looking for.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
x50ftw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dailylister.com searches craigslist and ebay for anything.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 AM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

found mine on craigslist.com
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+ 1 for Atlanta (or just outside of). That's where I found mine through a wholesaler on EBay. PM if you want his site. Wholesaler and enthusiast. Just keep checking all the car sites till you find one that suits you. I spent countless hours drooling over many. Enjoy your search. Your Porsche will find you...
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

if you want to keep good taps on craigslist, buy a software called craigspal, you cna set it up to receive specific notification, it is the most powerfull app I think. and you can get some pretty good deals on craigslist, but I still think autotrader is the main source.

My advise, add a couple $ and buy a cpo car from porsche, no headache, drive it like you stole it !

Quick Reply: Where do you look for cars?