Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

other cheap way for a Ln IMS retrofit kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 AM
fjr_wertheimber

Originally Posted by HRTex
If what I suspect about your posts is correct, I think you ought to put a tennis ball in there and call it a day.
By "in there", am I safe to assume you mean someplace dark, other than the engine? LOL
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 AM
HRTex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good catch - I didn't even see it. When I wrote it I meant the bearing opening, but now that you pointed it out I think your idea is much better.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
fjr_wertheimber

I think it's safe to say us Austinites tend to be on the same page... LOL
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
heiwaz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your first post here is about retrofitting an IMS bearing and you discuss shafts, flanges, hybrid ceramics, etc. ? Hard to believe you just found Rennlist.
Of course, I'm able to discuss these thing like an mechanical expert I am . And I found rennlist in a post of a spanish porsche forum (soloporsche) which I'm registered a lot of month ago you registered in porsche forum.

Always I have a mechanical problem, I investigate and study all the possible solutions. I'll go to make this work alone like the spanish user barracuda.

So, once I've find the solution of insert an aftermarket bearing is not possible, I would insert the Ln retrofit.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Wayne at Pelican is developing a cheaper solution for you. Just wait a bit.
Yes, our kit is currently undergoing testing in our test car (1999 996) and is working flawlessly. We had to pull the engine out to do some tech articles for the next book (101 Projects for your Porsche 996), so we've had to stop testing it. I hope to have the engine back in before Halloween, and then back on the road. I hope to have the kit available and in the catalog by the end of the year, or the early part of 2011 at the latest.

Thanks! You can see the kit here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Yes, our kit is currently undergoing testing in our test car (1999 996) and is working flawlessly. We had to pull the engine out to do some tech articles for the next book (101 Projects for your Porsche 996), so we've had to stop testing it. I hope to have the engine back in before Halloween, and then back on the road. I hope to have the kit available and in the catalog by the end of the year, or the early part of 2011 at the latest.

Thanks! You can see the kit here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

-Wayne
Ah, that answers my question:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...ml#post5596657

I went with the LNE solution.

JP
Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems odd to try to solve a problem caused by a cheap part with a cheap part.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Well, Pelican is saying that it should be every 30k-40k R&R as part of maintenance.... LN is not and should last the life of the car. 2 diff philosophy.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Go figure !
Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 AM
heiwaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by redridge
Well, Pelican is saying that it should be every 30k-40k R&R as part of maintenance.... LN is not and should last the life of the car. 2 diff philosophy.
One best option is install the pelican kit with a ceramic hibrid bearing.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Well, sort of. Last time I checked, LN Engineering still recommends replacing the bearing every 30-40K miles, even if it's the new, updated ceramic bearing. This may have changed since I last spoke with Charles, but the issue is that the IMS retrofit kit that LN Engineering sells has not been time-tested in a lot of cars with a lot of miles on it (you need several years to do that). So, the results in real-world testing are not known at this time.

That said, the ceramic bearing *should* last a very long time - much longer than the original bearing. BUT - no one really understands 100% what the mechanism is behind these bearing failures, so at this point, it's still just a guess (a very educated guess).

With the Pelican kit, we've designed the kit to be an inexpensive 30K replacement part that you simply swap out during a clutch change. For those who want the more bulletproof solution, I suggest that you go with the LN Engineering kit. We're not planning on offering the special ceramic bearing with our kit right now.

Hope this info is useful!

-Wayne
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello heiwaz.

Welcome to rennlist board.

I've seen that you're lurking what to do (here and in soloporsche).

IMHO I think this is a very important operation and the target is to prevent an engine failure. I wouldn't look for a cheap solution. The meaning of cheap is not always in the same line as effectiveness.

If Insaro is expensive for your budget, LNE offers an accurate and good priced double row bearing Kit. It's provided with an hybrid bearing similar to SKF (barracuda's solution). I think It's a fantastic solution and the cost (595 $) is a good price.

Think that you'll have to pay spanish duty import taxes, and spanish VAT (18%).

If I were you I'd purchase a magnetic oil drain plug, and the spin on oil filter adapter + oil filter too.

New oil = you'll need almost 10 l. (if you want to use a good oil brand send me a PM and I'll help you to locate the best price). Forget Mobil 1 0W40.
In BITOG you?ll find a huge info about it.

But you'll be saving labour cost as you'll do it yourself, so the total amount won't be expensive thinking about the importance of the solution.

Going for barracuda's solution is not easy with double row bearing.

For those who were thinking that heiwaz came here to sell something, you're wrong. He is a soloporsche user and I know him.

http://soloporsche.com/member.php?u=3464

Besides I think that It's very important to follow Navarro's oil advises. As your car is a MK1 unit, try to contact to Navarro or Raby. Thay could recommend you the best parts for your car including billet chain tensioners.

enjoy rennlist

regards from Spain
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM
heiwaz
Advanced

thanks juankimalo, it's grateful to see a spanish user in this forum. I was talking by telephone with barracuda and he explain me with all of detail his operation with IMS, and why can not use his solution on my double bearing. Maybe I'll install the Ln kit.

Quick Reply: other cheap way for a Ln IMS retrofit kit?