996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it the Oil Separator??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010 | 03:42 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Default Is it the Oil Separator??

I just had my oil changed at the stealership yesterday. When it was done they said a boot near the oil filter needed replacement because it was swelling and "sweating" some oil. So they went to take a closer look at it and said that my oil separator was leaking, I guess it's leaking from underneath this boot. The oil separator is leaking a little bit and then sweating through this boot when it gets hot. They said replacing the boot won't fix it and quoted me $750 to get a new oil separator.

I did some reading on here and it seems like the majority of people who have replaced their oil separator had problems with check engine lights, rough idle, using oil, and smoking. I dont have a CEL, it doesn't smoke (ever), idles smoothly, but uses some oil, maybe 1/2 qrt every 4000 miles, and I've never noticed any oil in the driveway.

Any ideas???
Old 10-13-2010 | 04:01 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

My AOS failed and I figured it out from the vent on the passenger side of the engine just below the coolant hose(it's really hidden) But the oil was seepsing down and covering the variocam. But wasn't dropping on the floor.
Old 10-13-2010 | 04:46 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Mine was "sweating" for quite a while before it finally failed - maybe 6 months. By the way, my car never smoked at all. I just got the check engine light, a rough idle, and an oil cap sucked on tighter than you can imagine. If you have a lot of miles on the car, it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN it'll finally fail.
Old 10-13-2010 | 05:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd generally advise someone not to worry about a "leak" that doesn't make it to the ground and has zero other consequences. That said, it would probably drive me nuts and I'd end up fixing it. These newer Porsches, and their ability to be dry underneath is just too much temptation! Yeah, can you tell I've owned older ones...
Old 10-14-2010 | 06:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

funny.... a boot near the oil filter? the AOS is nowhere near the oil fiter. $750 installed? if you have time you can DIY the AOS.
Old 10-14-2010 | 06:45 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

yeah..that's what they said..when I had my PPI done on the car when I bought it they noted the leaking "boot near the oil filter" and said it was a $15 part and could be replaced easily..but apparently it's not..lol..

I read the DIY on it, but it seems a little bit more involved than I'm willing to get right now. I'm def. going to take it somewhere else to have it done though..who knows what they'll really replace once they get in there..lol
Old 10-14-2010 | 07:04 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

The boot is easy to replace you just have to get under the car and do it. The AOS is not really a difficult job, but rather a very time consuming one.

Quick Reply: Is it the Oil Separator??