Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What to do for the Winter - Drive or Store??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could consider 17s for winter...that's the setup I have and they work great. Hopefully we have a long fall and they won't need to go on until December. They won't go on until the snow starts coming down. Summer tires on cold and dry pavement are fun.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

From a fellow Chicagoan,

Even if you put winter tires on, it still won't stop stupid Chicago drivers from running into your baby or the occasional salt plows from spitting up snow/salt rocks.

Even if that $1600 budget grows a bit more for winter tires/battery/winter maintenance on a beater, it could still be hell of a lot less than if your porsche got crunched(both in repairs and later resale if given salvage title or unclean carfax).

If you're all on vanity and have to look great all the time, I'd say go for it. If you're more about practical sensibility, I would think about it.

Just my $.02
Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
From a fellow Chicagoan,

Even if you put winter tires on, it still won't stop stupid Chicago drivers from running into your baby or the occasional salt plows from spitting up snow/salt rocks.

Even if that $1600 budget grows a bit more for winter tires/battery/winter maintenance on a beater, it could still be hell of a lot less than if your porsche got crunched(both in repairs and later resale if given salvage title or unclean carfax).

If you're all on vanity and have to look great all the time, I'd say go for it. If you're more about practical sensibility, I would think about it.

Just my $.02
I think it's key to know that winter tires aren't only for snow. They are softer, and don't turn into slippery rocks when the temps fall. When it snows, my car sits in the garage waiting for the all-clear!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I think it's key to know that winter tires aren't only for snow. They are softer, and don't turn into slippery rocks when the temps fall. When it snows, my car sits in the garage waiting for the all-clear!
Agreed. This is a widely misunderstood thing. Winter tires are all about the compound. Summer performance tires start to lose some adhesion as soon as 10C, and harden up quite suddenly at about 5C. Without intending to slag anybody, I think that driving on summer performance tires in the cold is irresponsible even if there's no snow at all.

For the kind of use most Porsche typically get in the winter, deep snow traction seems much less important to me than good ol' friction does. I run the Pirellis in the winter on 18" wheels at the OE widths. Given my winter use is almost all urban, I am far more concerned with water management and adhesion (hence the contact patch) than I am with cutting through deep stuff. It's all about the right tool for the job.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run PS2's on 18" for the summer and have 17" Blizzaks for winter. While I think the choice is a good one, I'm impressed at how much less stable & planted the car seems on the smaller snow tires. I was thrilled to take them off in the Spring.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to run Blizzaks on my car, but when I ask for tires for 17" wheels, the only ones that Tire Rack gives me are the Pirelli Winter performance tires. These give up performance in snow and ice to provide high performance running in cold weather on dry roads. I am more interested in traction than high speed runs in the winter.

What size 17" wheels are you running? (what width)
What size Blizzak tires are you running on the front and rear of your car.

Maybe I need to back into the size of tires, and rather than letting Tire Rack propose a size, I need to tell them what sizes I want.

thanks

larry
Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
From a fellow Chicagoan,

Just my $.02
An accident can happen at any time in any season...if you're uncomfortable with that, you shouldn't be on the road regardless of what you're driving.

Originally Posted by BruceP
Agreed. This is a widely misunderstood thing. Winter tires are all about the compound. Summer performance tires start to lose some adhesion as soon as 10C, and harden up quite suddenly at about 5C. Without intending to slag anybody, I think that driving on summer performance tires in the cold is irresponsible even if there's no snow at all.

For the kind of use most Porsche typically get in the winter, deep snow traction seems much less important to me than good ol' friction does. I run the Pirellis in the winter on 18" wheels at the OE widths. Given my winter use is almost all urban, I am far more concerned with water management and adhesion (hence the contact patch) than I am with cutting through deep stuff. It's all about the right tool for the job.
+ a million

Winter tires aren't all about driving in the snow. Sure, they're good for that, but the tire compound is what makes a winter tire a winter tire. I cringe every time I hear someone talking about how the tread pattern is the difference between summer and winter tires...not even close.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Winter tires aren't all about driving in the snow. Sure, they're good for that, but the tire compound is what makes a winter tire a winter tire. I cringe every time I hear someone talking about how the tread pattern is the difference between summer and winter tires...not even close.
That's what I love about this forum. I learn things that I never expected. That's another thing to put into my car-memory-bank.

And, I concur about accidents at any time. I enjoy driving this car. I LOVE IT!!! Any opportunity to continue driving it all year long just continues to reinforce why I bought it. When I had Kermit, the winters always seemed long and longer, because it was a Garage Queen, and I only drove it on occasion. This car, I drive on all occasions. I even find short errands that I wouldn't drive on - just to have an excuse to drive the car!!! Like I've said, my biggest complaint right now is that I don't have a longer commute.

larry
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
I would love to run Blizzaks on my car, but when I ask for tires for 17" wheels, the only ones that Tire Rack gives me are the Pirelli Winter performance tires. These give up performance in snow and ice to provide high performance running in cold weather on dry roads. I am more interested in traction than high speed runs in the winter.

What size 17" wheels are you running? (what width)
What size Blizzak tires are you running on the front and rear of your car.

Maybe I need to back into the size of tires, and rather than letting Tire Rack propose a size, I need to tell them what sizes I want.

thanks

larry
My Blizzaks are 205/50/17 and 255/40/17 from the TireRack purchased 12/08.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
An accident can happen at any time in any season...if you're uncomfortable with that, you shouldn't be on the road regardless of what you're driving.
I understand that but you obviously have never lived in Chicago lately. Chicago takes idiotic drivers to another level and then increases exponentially in the winter. Found out OP is living in the burbs so he should be fine.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't drive it.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Matt F.
Advanced

Default Winter in New Jersey- help for a newbie!!!

Hello, since I'm a new Porsche owner (4 days as of this post!), I plan to regularly start my beauty ('87 928 S4 auto- amazing condition!) and drive it when roads are clear and dry throughout this winter. Will I need the winter tires or can I gingerly use the performance tires on dry, clear roads? The plans are for cruising semi-regularly and some trips to/from work which is only 5 miles from home. My regular auto is a Pathfinder so that will be used all other times when the weather/ roads are inhospitable here. Please give me feedback as I am very concerned that I might be doing the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
larry47us
Pro

The misunderstanding of winter tires is that the only advantage that they provide is traction in snowy conditions. In doing a bit of scouting on this topic, I have discovered that there is a totally different rubber compound used in summer as opposed to winter. The difference is that the rubber on summer tires becomes hard when the temperature drops below 30 degrees F, and makes stopping very problematic.

Winter tires use a softer rubber compound that stays soft even though the temperature drops into the teens or lower. That enables you to stop more quickly, even on dry pavement. Of course, the tread design also helps you in snowy or icy conditions.

larry
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM
ILikeEsses
Intermediate

DRIVE IT ALL YEAR.
Life is short, and smiles are worth more than $$.

If Porsche can run one in the Decar Rally, I can run mine in the snow!

Get a set of snows and separate rims, and drive it!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: What to do for the Winter - Drive or Store??