Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What to do for the Winter - Drive or Store??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
I am getting to the point where I agree. I just wanted to see what the "community" felt about this. If this were a classic car, I wouldn't do it, but this is a modern Porsche. It's not going to appreciate in value the way some other Pcars do. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check on wheelsandcaps.com. I did check out a winter tire package for my car on Tirerack.com. The wheels (look like 18" Turbo twists) are 179 for each front and 189 for each rear. The Blizzaks are 177 for each front and 241 for each rear.

Tire Rack mounts and balances them for free, which I would have to pay for if I bought the tires and wheels separately. I can put them on the car myself - I have a service jack and compressor and airgun. Don't see how I can get by much cheaper than the $1,600. The selection Tire Rack gave me didn't include Hankooks. Just Blizzak, Pirellis, and Dunlops. Maybe I need to call and talk to someone . . . . . . .
Ah, I just realized that I got my winter tires from Discount Tire Direct. They have the Hankook W300 Icebears for about $770 shipped (after messing with a $50 rebate) and the wheels at wheelsandcaps.com are $569 for a total of about $1340 + mounting/balancing ($80 around here)...a little more than I thought, but about the cheapest you'll find for a brand new 18" winter tire/wheel package for a Porsche.

I struggled with the same thing last winter and finally found something that works great. There's no reason you have to go with a narrower wheel/tire than stock, and if you have any fitment questions, post them here and I'll try to help you. Careful with the Boxster wheels--many (all?) of them have a different offset and there's a good chance they won't fit your 996.

Can anyone confirm that the 996 Targa is a narrowbody car? I don't want to lead Larry down the wrong path...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996 Targa is narrow body

I imagine you could get away with 17" wheels/tires for winter. Yes, Boxster wheels (7x17 and 8.5x17) would fit (996 base wheels were 7 and 9x17 )

I always grin when I see other porsches out in "bad" weather.. rain, snow etc.. because they are being used and enjoyed!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought used replica 17" twist rims with Pirelli winter tires, for $800 or so when I first bought my car in '07. I've installed them every winter, and drove the car between storms. There are some winters where it doesn't snow until December or January. Most of the time, when it does snow, I keep the car in the garage until the roads are clear.

Our cars will not disintegrate from salt. Wash the cars on 40 degree sunny winter days, and enjoy until you have to put the summer wheels back on on April!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
996 Targa is narrow body
Thanks...that's what I thought.

I imagine you could get away with 17" wheels/tires for winter. Yes, Boxster wheels (7x17 and 8.5x17) would fit (996 base wheels were 7 and 9x17 )
But what about the offset? I recall looking for Boxster wheels to use for the winter on my 996 C4 and finding that the diameters and widths were fine but the offsets were completely wrong.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have some 17" Boxster S (twists) rims I use in winter. No snow tires. With LSD & traction control the car is great in snow.

The nice thing about 17" tires are they are really cheap compared to 18/19".
Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I am also running Boxter Twists for my winter tires - the offsets are fine. Bought used for $900 for everything (and the tires will have 2 or 3 years of life in them). I do have a small spacers in front, but I do not think it makes any difference (they are for my summer wheels, but I leave them on due to the longer bolts they require)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15psi
I have some 17" Boxster S (twists) rims I use in winter. No snow tires. With LSD & traction control the car is great in snow.

The nice thing about 17" tires are they are really cheap compared to 18/19".
The problem I'm facing is that I have called Tire Rack and talked to them about tires for the 17" wheels. They said that they only have one tire, made by Pirelli. And that tire is a winter performance tire, not a snow/ice tire. That is the only tire in an "appropriate" size for Porsches for a 17" wheel.

What I don't understand is that the wheels are, let's say, 17' in diameter. But some of them are 7" across, and some are 8.5" and some are more. How do I make sure that i don't get too wide a wheel, and then how do I know what tires will fit a wheel of X width? Certainly I can't expect that a tire that will fit a 7" wide wheel will also comfortably fit an 8.5" wide wheel, or a 10" wide wheel.

I would rather get 17" more standard wheels to save money. The winter tires and wheels I bought for my Lexus (which were 16") were less than $900. It seems to me that I'm just not finding the right source of information to get what I need in the cheapest solution.

I don't need Z rated winter tires!!! Any standard sedan tire (like a T rated tire) would work fine for me for the winter months.

larry
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Pirelli Wintersport tires are N rated, meaning you can drive the car the way it was designed to drive on those dry sunny winter days. You wouldn't like doing anything but going straight using sedan T rated tires!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my Blizzaks in 17" sizes so I could use my stock wheels, I imagine they are still available from Tirerack, and they are dedicated snows.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry47us
The problem I'm facing is that I have called Tire Rack and talked to them about tires for the 17" wheels. They said that they only have one tire, made by Pirelli. And that tire is a winter performance tire, not a snow/ice tire. That is the only tire in an "appropriate" size for Porsches for a 17" wheel.

What I don't understand is that the wheels are, let's say, 17' in diameter. But some of them are 7" across, and some are 8.5" and some are more. How do I make sure that i don't get too wide a wheel, and then how do I know what tires will fit a wheel of X width? Certainly I can't expect that a tire that will fit a 7" wide wheel will also comfortably fit an 8.5" wide wheel, or a 10" wide wheel.

I would rather get 17" more standard wheels to save money. The winter tires and wheels I bought for my Lexus (which were 16") were less than $900. It seems to me that I'm just not finding the right source of information to get what I need in the cheapest solution.

I don't need Z rated winter tires!!! Any standard sedan tire (like a T rated tire) would work fine for me for the winter months.

larry
Go to tirerack.com and punch in Porsche, 2001, BoxsterS (17")
29 tire combinations came up. Including Pirelli snows for $674/set, or even Hankooks Hi Perf $392/set.

I run summer tires in winter, and have driven the car in 3-4" of snow. Any more and clearance will probably become a problem. Maybe best to work from home til they clean the streets.

For me ice is a bigger concern.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by 15psi
Go to tirerack.com and punch in Porsche, 2001, BoxsterS (17")
29 tire combinations came up. Including Pirelli snows for $674/set, or even Hankooks Hi Perf $392/set.
I did as you suggested. Unfortunately, of the 29 sets of tires shown, there is only one that is winter, and the Pirelli's are labeled as winter tires, not snow tires. I am really looking for snow tires for the winter. I don't have LSD or Traction Control. I think that with these wide tires, I am going to need all the help I can get - getting actual SNOW TIRES.

If I go up to 18" wheels, there are three different labels of tires. If I try to get them on 17" wheels, there are NO SNOWS listed. I called and talked to someone at Tire Rack. He confirmed the issue. Porsche uses a very wide tire in the rear, and it is only Pirelli that makes a winter tire for the Porsche. Looks like I may have to do 18" wheels anyway. If no mfgr makes the tires, there is really no way I can buy them.

larry
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
And maybe it is my imagination.. But in colder weather the thing seems to gain about 30 hp
+1.... ultimate CAI!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
racer
Drifting

When I went to tirerack for 17's I found this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....a&autoModClar=

When I read the description of the tire, it says for use in Snow, rain, and Ice..

You might also review your owners manual as Porsche has, for many years, listed recommended winter/snow tires for its models.

When I searched for 18's I got: http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterT...&performance=W
leaving 4 different tires..
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
larry47us
Pro

Thumbs up

Racer:

I came up with the same choices, I think, when I surfed their site. But when I called Tire Rack, he told me that the Pirelli was a plowed street winter tire, whereas the Blizzak was an all winter heavy snow tire. Certainly a $1350 tire package is better than a $1700 package. It looks like a viable option. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

larry
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Also consider the limited ground clearance on the 996. you won't have too much luck in more than 6" of fresh snow no matter what tire you have since it will build up under the car. Having at least a "winter biased" tire will make travel in a small accumulation suprise easier and also easier on sloppy, wet, icy roads as well.

Quick Reply: What to do for the Winter - Drive or Store??