Sponsored by:

Green centering tool for 997 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Green centering tool for 997 shifter

I have the 997 shifter console to install in the next couple of days. It came with the green centering tool. How do I use it to center and align the shifter?

I looked at the B&M instructions, but it doesn't reference that centering tool of course.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Clip it to the shifter shaft so it doesn't move. Then connect the cables. It'll be obvious once it's all apart.

IMO, it's better ergonomically, to center the shifter a bit to the left and rear of center. Definitely play around with it and get a feel before you put the console back on.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THis may help you?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tal-996tt.html
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
HRTex
Intermediate

Marking the cables before removing the connectors is a good idea, but I think it is over-rated in the above thread, as that is what the tool is for. Marking them and counting the threads on each cable is a good idea, but really isn't as crucial as he makes it seem.

Once you have connected your cables, pop the tool off (just off the base where it snaps in, don't remove it from the lever yet). Then lower it again and snap it in - as you go to snap it in, if (1) the tool doesn't line up perfectly AND/OR the shift lever has to move more than a few mm for the tool to snap in, then the cables are not in adjustment. Just undo them and reattach them until the tool, once unsnapped and then lowered on again is lined up.

I found that one of my cables needed to be moved a few threads from where is was originally, even though I think it had never been touched since the factory.

At least I think the above is all true - if someone disagrees with me please correct me.....

----Also, not related to your question, make sure the little metal 'spring' (actually a curved piece of metal) at the latch for the storage cover is put on correctly before buttoning everything back up. When I removed my console, instead of being able to disconnect that little spring from the electrical connector, the whole spring popped out of its plastic holder underneath there. When I put it back in, the storage cover lid did not fully depress the spring when I closed the cover - SO, every time I locked the car the horn would beep to let me know that it was 'open'. Very frustrating to have to remove the console again to make sure that little thing was snapped back in perfectly and then depressed sufficiently when the storage cover was closed. This probably won't happen to you, just keep an eye on it.

If you have any questions at all, let me know and I will do my best to help. As a bonus, when I did mine I found like $4 in change under the center console that had fallen through the ashtray !!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Is there a centering tool for the OEM 997 SS, I'm going to install it next week but there's no centering tool with the one I bought.

Quick Reply: Green centering tool for 997 shifter