996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Targa Roof Help - misalignment!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, I got a can on spray grease and a straw about the same as you get on wd40. Opened the top and then spray as far back down the guides as you can. As soon as the top starts squeaking it's time to spray. If you consider the rails are also the drainage parts then you have to keep it well lubricated.

Good luck and hopefully not a huge issue.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Default Targa Roof problem update - ready for other suggestions

If you've followed this thread here's an update. Thurs. I tried to manually close the driver's side of the roof with no luck. Fri. my independent couldn't get the roof closed either. Admitted he has little targa experience, so he's calling the local Porsche dealer's main mechanic to see what might be done. Luckily, we're so dry in middle Tennessee I'm still driving every day. But, I see duct tape in my future

Couple of car guys suggested I might see if a body shop could get the unit shut. Thoughts on that? Continued searching the Web for any thread related to something similar to my problem and am coming up with zero.

Appreciate each of you who have chimed in. Inviting additional input
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you ever resolve your targa top issue?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Piccia
Instructor

The car's getting looked at next week by another local independent. We'll keep our finger's crossed.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any update on this? Just curious.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Piccia
Instructor

My independent was able to get the roof closed but it needs the cables to be replaced. He's researching how much that will cost. I was out of work from Jan. until two weeks ago so I didn't pursue it....

But, now we'll see where things end up. It may take a while though as I am traveling a lot in my new position and since the car drives fine it isn't a priority.

Thanks for asking
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update! There's a 2003 Targa for sale locally so I'm researching reliability, etc. Love the idea of the Targa top!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Mine's been utterly reliable engine-wise. The Targa failure is my own fault. It needs to be lubricated occasionally. I thought it was a sealed system. So if you're researching to buy, see if that's ever been done. Mine was 4yrs old when I bought it and I didn't know to check or to do it later. My only repairs have been a replaced ignition switch and a replaced light switch.

Good luck! They're great.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can search again and find some trouble i had with a cosmetic cover on the c-pillar. I ended up slicing and removing it rather than disassemble the back-end to replace it. I wasn't comfortable taking several electic motors out in order to get at it and I certainly wasn't going to pay the dealership thousands in labour for the hours.

That all said, it's a small thing to go wrong on an eight-year-old car. The glass over head is spectacular on rainy days when it would be so dark otherwise. Enough can't be said about the hatch, either.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I did find your thread. Piccia's thread was the only "major" dilema I found. It seems most issues are minor annoyances (like squeaks). Even if motors fail, it seems they can be manually closed and the car just becomes a 911 with a really huge sunroof.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Targa Roof Help - misalignment!