996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

X51 Solution for Oil Starvation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X51 Solution for Oil Starvation?

I see Suncoast has the x51 oil pan for $220. Is this the ticket for insurance against oil starvation for DE's? Is there a better deal or solution other than the separate sump? My car is also for street/family use so I need the solution if I need it at all to be under the car.
Is this a DIY job? My skills include oil change, removing the front bumper to clean the radiators and break pad replacement. That is, my automotive skills are minor. I assume an oil change would be the time to try this. No, I do not have a lift.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Virtually everyone I know who seriously tracks their 996 (I race mine) runs the X51 oil pan. It's in my opinion the best bang for the buck solution to the oiling issue. I'm seeing engine failures from time to time at the track, but I'm not seeing oiling related ones amongst those running the X51 pan. Probably the best solution is an Accusump, but it's expensive, and not really suited for anything but a dedicated track car. Most people who are installing the Accusump are putting the sump in the passenger compartment, not something you would want in a street car.

I've not installed an X51 oil pan myself, as my car had it when I bought it, but I really don't think it's a very difficult DIY.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

according to the guru's at PCA.... there isnt any documented catastrophic failures related to oil starvation on street tires...... slicks on the other hand is another bowl of wax. But the x51 pan holds more oil at the baffled oil pick-up area. Easy diy..... do it on your next oil change.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

In the recent accusump location thread I thought I saw an indication that the x51 pan did not resolve the issue. I'm sure it can't hurt, but if you're really concerned I'd look in the accusump solution. Others have mounted them under the car so putting it in the passenger space isn't the only option.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can speak from personal experience ... the X51 pan is not a definitive solution. I had one on my 99 C2 and the engine still sucked air and spun 3 bearings at an autocross. As pointed out, the only real solution is an Accusump, which is not that hard to install but likely has to go in the passenger compartment (mine is on the shelf under the rear window). No problem in a dedicated track car; no good place in a street car.

Quick Reply: X51 Solution for Oil Starvation?