Sponsored by:

Installed bra for hood & bumper but need to adjust hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Runforfun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed bra for hood & bumper but need to adjust hood

i just installed a black bra for the hood and bumber of my 2000 carrera. now when i close it, it will not lock. i do not want to force it, so can someone shed some light on how i adjust the hood so it will lock. thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

If you purchased your bra new-in-the-box, there should be 4 washers in a small plastic bag in the box. You unscrew the upper latch from the hood and insert one or two washers per side (between the latch and the hood ), depending on what it takes to make the hood latch.
If you bought the bra without those washers, just get some washers that fit and do the same thing.

The washers space the latch down so it will close with the new material between.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but...car bras are a mixed bag IMHO. If/when they get wet, they will affect the paint underneath (causes "blotches") if left installed for awhile. Plus, although they may appear to be snugly installed, they will "move" with the airflow and over time will cause a dullness to the clear coat underneath. Hence, I recommend you consider using the bra, especially the hood lid cover, only for those occasional road tours. Then take it off and store it.

relinuca
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Runforfun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you both for the info on lowering the latch and also on only using it for long trips-my porsche knowledge is very limited but i go by the theory of know what you do not know.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I firmly agree with Relinuca on the actual usage of the bra. I've had a bunch of them over 4 decades. Use only on road trips, not around town. They are excellent protection against highway road hazards like flung up truck tire chunks.
Wax your car under the bra before installing.
Do not leave it on there day after day. Grit gets between the fabric and your paint and eventually sands away your finish.
If it gets wet in the rain, remove it as soon as practical. Dry it out thoroughly before packing it away or reusing.
The hood portion may be OK at a DE, but definitely NOT the rest of it. The speeds you reach at DE's will billow out the bra and chafe your paint quickly, causing more damage than you prevent by having it.
Don't install it in a hurry. Take time to make sure it is tight and straight each time you use it. Haste makes (chafe).

Quick Reply: Installed bra for hood & bumper but need to adjust hood