996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My 996 came with a WARRANTY!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Help a brother out. I've been trying to get a warranty with no success. If you have information that can help people post it, otherwise it sounds like BS.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a call from the Toyota dealer on Friday. The blower motor came in and I should schedule a date/time to have it installed. I have to say, after all of the negative comments on Toyota mechanics, I was now just a bit paranoid (or was I just a-nnoyed ). I took a bunch of pictures of the front of the glove compartment, the bottom of the passenger seat, the carpeting, the center console, the back of the passenger seat, the door, the underside of the dash, etc. Just about every angle I could think of. I was prepared at many different levels to complain to them about how badly they had treated my car.

The appointment was at 8:00 PM. I got there at 7:30 and they took the car. I ran down the street for some pizza. I got back to the dealer at 9:15, and the mechanic was still working on the car. He had the old motor out, the glove compartment off, the bottom plate on the dash out, and he was lying on his back in the footwell of the passenger side, trying to figure out how to prop up his flashlight.

Long story short, they finished the car at 9:30 PM. Gave me a free wash coupon for the carwash down the street. I signed the paperwork, and went out to examine the car. They had a plastic sheet on the driver's seat, and a paper mat on the floor. I looked carefully all around the car, the center console, the glove compartment, I opened and closed it, moved the seat up/down, forward/back, etc. Everything seemed to be in order - No . . . Everything WAS in order.

I hopped into the car, turned the fan motor on the heater on, and listened to the sweet silence of the wind blowing off the fan. No squeaks, no squeals, just smooth wind noise.

So, in spite of most of your concerns (which I took to heart), the surgery went just fine, doctor. And I still have 6 weeks left. Here's hoping that I don't need to make a second visit.

larry
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
larry47us
Pro

So, for whatever reason, when I replaced the battery in my key head, I couldn't get the top to snap back on correctly. A bit of tape held the damn thing together until I could figure it out.

But instead of using a taped key, I decided to try my second key. It wouldn't open the door electronically, and when I used the key to open the door, it set off the alarm. Not good. So, it looked like it was going to be another trip back to the Toyota Dealer to get another Porsche part fixed.

Then, I have noticed that the car is starting intermittently. I turn the key, but it won't turn the engine over. I'm thinking - it's gotta be the ignition switch. So, now I have two reasons to go get things fixed. I hop over to Toyota, and they are taking it to the Porsche dealer to get these things fixed.

Fast forward two days: Toyota dealer calls - Porsche mechanic declared the key dead, and they will have to cut and program a new key for me. Regarding the ignition switch, they claim that it is a faulty clutch switch. The warranty company only pays $120 per hour for work, (talked up from $99 per hour). So, I will have to take it in the shorts for $79 for the differential. But Toyota called and sweet talked the Porsche dealer into taking $120 per hour to do the work.

The car will be ready for pick up tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm driving a Camry in Arctic Silver!!

BTW, I still haven't gotten my $235 from the dealer for the damaged wood trim on my dashboard. I've probably made 8 phone calls to talk to everyone and their mother. I WILL GET MY MONEY!!!!

larry
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your porsche dealer gets 199/hr labor rate? the freakin lambo dealer in bergen county nj is like $115/hr
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by htny
your porsche dealer gets 199/hr labor rate? the freakin lambo dealer in bergen county nj is like $115/hr
Nope, the $79 was for two hours of work. So, that's $39/hour differential, or $159 per hour. Still a lot of money as far as I'm concerned, but it's a pretty typical rate in Chicago. The Volvo dealer is $150.

larry
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So they damaged the wood trim in the process?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
So they damaged the wood trim in the process?
No, no, no. The wood trim around the heating vents and the radio was pretty cracked up and in pieces when I bought the car. The wood around the instrument cluster is cracked up and coming loose as well. All in all, I think that the wood accents are a very expensive failure. I am trying to figure out how I want to change it out, and how much to change out.

The radio surround is shot and will be replaced. Don't know yet if I am going to replace the wood around the instrument cluster or not.

But the dealer didn't do anything to damage the wood trim.

larry
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
No, no, no. The wood trim around the heating vents and the radio was pretty cracked up and in pieces when I bought the car. The wood around the instrument cluster is cracked up and coming loose as well. All in all, I think that the wood accents are a very expensive failure. I am trying to figure out how I want to change it out, and how much to change out.

The radio surround is shot and will be replaced. Don't know yet if I am going to replace the wood around the instrument cluster or not.

But the dealer didn't do anything to damage the wood trim.

larry

So the orginal selling dealer is going to pay you $235 for wood trim pieces that were broken when you bought the car?

Why didn't they further discount the car instead of telling you they would pay for the wood trim peices?

If (and I hope you do) get the money, I'd put it towards some painted trim from bumperplugs or some carbon trim from Suncoast/sunset.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
larry47us
Pro

Jim:

Your point is well taken. As a matter of fact, when I discovered that the trim was all cracked up (during the PPI), I told them that I wanted a discount to cover it. They said they would give me $200 off, but when they sent me the paperwork by FedEx, they hadn't discounted it. Rather than have them re-generate the paperwork, they said that they would pay me the $200 when I got there . . . then they would mail me a check, then the business office will have to cut a check, then . . . . . . . .

The additional $35 was for my cab ride to the dealership. So much grief over such small dollars.

BTW, I agree on the replacement trim. I'm not going after the wood trim anymore. I'll get something that I can either paint myself, or buy painted. I'm thinking of more aluminum accents, etc.

larry
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up!
I thought the repair of the fan motor by the Toyota Tech ruined the wood trim.
A new key can be up to $400 to buy ,cut, and program so getting a free one on warranty is a GREAT deal.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM
larry47us
Pro

Maurice - Really - $400 for a new key??? Boy, I AM glad that I had them fix this under warranty.

This has to be the longest repair time on record, though. The P dealer is billing for 2 hours of work. I dropped my car off Monday night. Today (Thursday) at 4:00 PM, I called them to verify that my car was back at the Toyota dealer so that I could pick it up. Nope, they just got told the dollar amount of the repairs and weren't going to be able to cut the check till tomorrow (Friday) morning.

GEEEZ, Monday night, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and part of Friday for a 2 hour repair. Boy, I am suffering from withdrawal really badly.

larry
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I replaced a bad key FOB a few years ago. Bought the part for $90 and reprogram for $120 labor. Had to bring in all my keys for the reprogram. An extra $200 to cut the key is not out of the ball park...

Quick Reply: My 996 came with a WARRANTY!!