996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HID installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 AM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

i had no change in distance, but huge change in my ability to see, it much better!!! everything is much more visible
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I also did the cheap HID upgrade about 2 weeks ago. So far, I've been very happy with them. I did the low beams, and, for me, the illumination of the road is much better than stock. I'd say it's about half way between low and high beams on low beams only.

There is more scattered light - that's true. I can see more light projecting up and to the right when I approach my garage door. As for blinding other drivers, I'm sure it's noticeable to some, but having a lowered, already low car, I don't feel too bad about it. Also, for what it's worth, I have not had anyone flash their high beams to me... in NY, people don't hesitate to flash you (and not like the do at Daytona beach...) So while the light projection might not be "most efficient", I don't think it's "criminal" or "blinding".
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM
teoulennon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone use 55w hid's? If you do, hows the heat they give off?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by teoulennon
There's no such thing
You're thinking of 55w halogen bulbs with the fake erroneous claim of "hid" color
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
There's no such thing
You're thinking of 55w halogen bulbs with the fake erroneous claim of "hid" color
Actually you are mistaken, there are 55W HID kits and they have been available for at least a couple of years, here's one from DDM http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

That said I see absolutely no reason to go beyond the standard 35W HID kits, the 35W kits are plenty bright enough even for my old eyes, 55W kits are overkill and cater to the "if some is good, then more is better" crowd.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by teoulennon
About 55W worth of heat!! Ok a little less since some of the consumed energy must have been converted to photons in the form of light.

You also must realize that the ballast will draw a surge current when the power is initially applied, this will induce more and longer surge current than the 55W incadesant halogen bulbs, and may blow the headlight fuse, requiring you to add a relay harness to avoid this issue.

As mentioned in my previous post, there is just no need to get the 55W HID kits, unless you are rallying in the middle of nowhere at night on a regular basis!

Quick Reply: HID installed!!!