Sponsored by:

Bummed out...Tire NOISE !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Holy crap are tehy cheap... i just cant bring my self to do this to our american tire companies. We buy enough from china now. And thats the whole reason I bought good year. But I have to admit at 1/3 the price.. It does make one re-think his stance.
Uh, the Sumis are made in Japan and you did nothing to stimulate the U.S. economy by purchasing a 11 year old german car....
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Second the HTRZIII. On my 968 they stayed relatively quiet longer than a lot of other tires did.

That said, what is your expectation here? Part of the joy of a sports car of this capability is the raw - and somewhat noisy, raucous experience. Soft performance tires get loud. If you want quiet longer than switch to an all-season tire. Less grip and performance, but better in ice and snow and will last longer and stay quieter... and the car will be slightly less capable. Check out the new Conti ExtremeContact DWS - Ultra High Performance all season. Tire Rack reviews mention it is quiet.

From my experience living in the Seattle area, if you are driving 12 months a year you probably want to go this route anyway. Max Performance Summer tires do very well in the wet, but go to hell quick when it gets cold and they get hard.
I have no complaints otherwise about any of the tires I have tried. The C4 stays in its nice warm and cozy garage unless the weather is acceptable, no snow, ice, ect. Too many inexperienced drivers out there in those woods.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like "Goodyear Made in USA" may not be valid much longer?? This is bias tires not sure if radials are going to follow or have already led the exodus, anyone??

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20580
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20580Division of Enforcement
Bureau of Consumer Protection
Laura D. Koss
Attorney

Mr. Samir F. Gibara
President
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1144 E. Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44316

Re: The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, File No. 992-3040

Dear Mr. Gibara:

The Division of Enforcement staff has conducted an investigation involving an allegation that The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company ("Goodyear") has violated the Federal Trade Commission's "all or virtually all" standard for domestic country of origin claims and Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Staff had received a complaint that Goodyear's sports car bias ply tires were marked "Made in USA" but that these tires were actually made in Chile.

Your company has informed staff that Goodyear has been shifting production of these tires to its facility in Chile. Your company stated that molds used in Chile have been modified so that the tires will no longer be marked "Made in USA" but instead "Made in Chile." However, certain tires made in Chile were sent to the United States for testing before the "Made in USA" mold was modified. According to your company, Goodyear personnel immediately discovered these tires upon their arrival in the United States and buffed off the "Made in USA" mark. Your company also stated that these tires were used only for internal analysis and testing purposes, and that no incorrectly marked tires were sold in the United States.

The staff has concluded that no compliance action against Goodyear is indicated at this time. Accordingly, the investigation has been closed. This action is not to be construed as a determination that a violation may not have occurred, just as the pendency of an investigation should not be construed as a determination that a violation has occurred. The Commission reserves the right to take such further action as the public interest may require.

Sincerely,

Elaine D. Kolish
Associate Director

cc: Michael R. Rickman, Esq.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
24,000 miles and now third set of tires on my '01 C4 trying to get "quietness". Tires, noise level, seems to be acceptable until they have about 8,000 to 10,000 miles on then.

Has anyone tried the spray can type undercoating of the wheelwells and liners to reduce this noise level..??

Any thoughts otherwise...??
I just bought Nokians WRG2s (all weather tires) for my 99 C2. It is noticeably quieter than the Potenzas and Kumhos I had previously. The problem with our roads in Seattle is the worn/exposed aggregrate particularly in sections of I-405 and I-5. On fresher pavement, I find that our cars are reasonably quiet.

I wear ear plugs to reduce the drone in such worn pavement to protect my hearing (my hearing has been damaged quite a bit during my years in racing). With the new Nokians, I don't anymore...

Quick Reply: Bummed out...Tire NOISE !!