Sponsored by:

Hitting Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks259
how fast are you going on these public roads?
7500, 2nd gear is what 65/70mph?
and then you are accelerating?
sounds pretty irresponsible , if you ask me.
just the thing that does nothing to help the image of what the public has of p-car owners.
save the speed for the track.
who let this guy into the thread?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Then there are the guy's going up an on ramp at 45mph in 996/997 and everyone backed up behind him in Civic's and Yoda's gonin, 'Who allowed this guy a Porsche - he should have bought a smart car...'
Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep in mind that peak power is reached before you get above 6500 rpm, so to push the engine up there is actually not doing to anything as far as power production is concerned. But when you do run it up higher, it helps you to stay at a higher level of rpms after the shift--the engine would not drop as much as it would if you shifted early of course and wound up with the engine down at 3500 or so--you want the engine around 4500 after the shift to maintain power and torque.

The problem with these engines is that they are very free revving engines. When you shift at 7200 rpm the momentum of all that engine mass causes the engine to actually go to 7500. Not a great thing when your redline is what,--7200 or 7300?

Enjoy! I am not timid, either!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't revving the engine up higher when shifting only happen if you let off the gas slightly after pushing in the clutch? Momentum cannot make objects accelerate, it keeps them from accelerating.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Technically that's not accurate, the phenomenon of an object in acceleration remaining such even after accelerative force is removed is accurate, though not quite as pronounced as Dan's suggesting.

There's a buffer between fuel cut RPM and the stage 2 over-rev registration in the DME. I want to say the difference is around 100rpm, but I don't recall exactly. In any case, you're not going to log any stage 2 over-revs without mis shifting into the wrong gear (or releasing the clutch early when braking/downshifting on track), and that's really the only way to do mechanical damage to the engine from over revving.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 AM
aadrew10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Technically that's not accurate, the phenomenon of an object in acceleration remaining such even after accelerative force is removed is accurate, though not quite as pronounced as Dan's suggesting.
F = m * a. If there's no force, there's no acceleration. I would be interested in seeing the phenomenon you are referring to in legitimate scientific print somewhere if you can find it. Nobody debates Newton's second law....
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be wrong with that post, and I didn't quite say what I wanted to anyway, so bear with me. Here's what I meant:

When the force is removed, acceleration will slow down, but absolute RPMs will rise somewhat above that point. If we still disagree, I'll try to dig something up. I think the disconnect is caused by the vagueness of the word "acceleration" in this context. That or the fact that it's 3am.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Down shifting into hitting rev limiter is worse than powering into it. Blowing a head gasket is the main concern I'd have. Also the best torque and power option for turns is below red line. Then you have options for power up and down. Redline in turns will be acting smoother like power curves that are linear but that just deceptive making turns in red line seem better. At least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Originally Posted by No HTwo O
This is incorrect, and make no sense what-so-ever. The rev limiter does NOT protect the engine on a down shift, nor is a spin situation.
I did not say the rev limiter protects the engine during downshifts which explains why it makes no sense to think I said so. Sooooo OK. In case you are saying downshifting into a revlimiter situation is the same as accelerating into one then I think that's wrong mostly because it isn't that way and never will be

RPM limits made easy with red meaning stop when it should be a sign like $16,000 in red is when you run a chance of engine failure. The cams cut along with the springs and valves are going to approach floating and the crank with rod and pistons could take a hike through the sylinder walls. Increasing rpms upwards with a load on the engine will not have a tramatic rpm change compaired to downshifting into a rev limiter state of affairs. There is some major banging going on in the cylinders at high rpms. The downshifting into redline is more of a hit on the engine thus a better chance of blowing a gasket.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think there's a clue in the fact that your ECU stores overrev conditions, and distinguishes between hitting the limiter while accelerating (Type 1) and hitting it because of a downshift, a so-called mechanical overrev (Type 2). When they're adjudicating warranty issues, for example, the first kind is usually overlooked, but the second kind is not.

I would never, ever mechanically overrev an engine. A smooth downshift into the meat of the torque curve on this car shouldn't require risking it. My .02...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Interesting discussion...
Let me mention that even if you see 7500RPM on the gauge for a split second (how I did) that does not mean that your engine is revving that high in reality. I am sure gauge reads always somewhat high in a similar way like on my other cars and motorcycles.

On my track bike by the way I can easily change the gearing by changing the sprocket for the very purpose of not having to hit rev limiter on the important turn at the particular track. Can't be done on Porsche so I will see how it goes if I stay in 3-rd for the turn..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I may be wrong with that post, and I didn't quite say what I wanted to anyway, so bear with me. Here's what I meant:

When the force is removed, acceleration will slow down, but absolute RPMs will rise somewhat above that point. If we still disagree, I'll try to dig something up. I think the disconnect is caused by the vagueness of the word "acceleration" in this context. That or the fact that it's 3am.
The engine accelerating is angular acceleration. Angular acceleration occurs when the engine RPM is increased OR decreased. The car accelerating on a straight road is straight line acceleration. Releasing the gas pedal is effectively removing the force that is acting on the engine to turn it. (expanding gasses in the cylinder). I suspect the observed split second the engine raises in rpm is caused from the load being taken off the engine by pushing in the clutch, and a small amount of unburnt fuel in the cylinders that has just enough energy left to raise the rpms with the clutch in. It may also be because the operator pushed in the clutch before completely letting off the gas.

Try this: get up to 60mph, and some gear that sets the engine at a high rpm. Let off the gas, and let the engine slow the car for 3 seconds. Then quickly push in the clutch. You won't see the engine rpm rise the split second you push in the clutch. It will only drop.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm only interested in the theory behind it, I have very little interest in over revving a modern fuel injected engine by hitting redline then pushing the clutch in, as I don't see that as a practical possibility. If I can gather the cognitive ability, I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

We must be talking about different things. I'm lost.

Quick Reply: Hitting Rev Limiter