GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

every porsche ever made is fk'd up
964 leaking head
911 self destructing clutch, pop off valve, chain tensioners
993 carbon build up CEL, squeaky windshiled
GT3 RMS, ****ty LSD
fear not. if you end up with a bad one, it's YOUR KARMA. suck it up. but i have had 4 996 non GT3's, 3 cayman s, and 3 boxster none of them had RMS or IMS. you can worry all you want or just get one, drive it, and laugh at those who worried so much.

i also heard the big earthquake is coming to CA. but i have no plans to move.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 993 and just got back from Porsche Escape in Sun Peaks B.C., Canada. There were lots of 996's at the event and although I didn't talk to all the owners, almost everyone was extremely happy with their cars.

None mentioned any serious problems with RMS-IMS issues. One guy had a 996, not sure of the year, that he tracks twice a month on average (Warm Springs Raceway in Pahrump Nevada). He has a daily driver with 125 K on the clock and wants to be the first to get to 250 K. He did need a RMS replacement recently because of a leak and while the job was being done the mechanic inspected the IMS and said it was in perfect shape (I believe the mechanic did an upgrade on the IMS while he was in there).

I will only quote what he told me his mechanic said to him. "Your IMS is just fine because you drive the car hard. The way it should be driven".

I am not on the 996 forum very often. I just thought I would relate to you what I heard and saw at the Escape. Mostly just happy 996 owners.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
My thoughts are that MOST of the 996's that I have seen for sale have been 3 - 4 or even 5 owner cars. That's pretty bad news on a car that is between 6 and 10 years old!! It seems to me that these owners found things that they didn't like about their car - and dumped it.
I've wondered this awhile ago when I was looking too but realized that some of these owners merely jump from car to car often and "upgrade" while others sell it because they don't drive it enough or think the maintenance costs are high. So I wouldn't assume a car is bad because of multiple owners.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can worry all you want or just get one, drive it, and laugh at those who worried so much.
Mooty, that's kind of how the world works. Some worry about things, others just enjoy them. I am just trying to get past all of the panic BS that floats around these cars. Actually, there is this kind of stuff that floats around ANY car. We had a Volvo wagon that went through a full set of brakes and rotors every year, to the tune of $1,100 a set. OUCH. But when there were more of them on the road, they got it straight, ran 2 - 2 1/2 years between brakes, at a cost of <$500. Go figure.

I am having the PPI today. We'll see how that works out. Then I'll hop a plane down to Houston, and drive it back.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I am feeling a LOT more comfortable now.

larry
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Larry, good luck with the PPI!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:23 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am feeling a LOT more comfortable now.

larry
That's good. You should. good luck with the PPI.

changing the oil often and having the IMS upgrade done should give you a nice solid ride for many years to come.

All that D chunk/slipped sleeve/porous block was early production stuff associated mainly with the Boxster.

With a well maintained 2004 996, your only concerns should be around the IMS.

Happy Hunting!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm on my third 996, two MK1s and the current MK2. I hesitated before I bought my first one reading all the stuff online also, but they've been some of the best cars I've ever owned and quite reliable also. Buy and enjoy.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Mooty, that's kind of how the world works. Some worry about things, others just enjoy them. I am just trying to get past all of the panic BS that floats around these cars. Actually, there is this kind of stuff that floats around ANY car. We had a Volvo wagon that went through a full set of brakes and rotors every year, to the tune of $1,100 a set. OUCH. But when there were more of them on the road, they got it straight, ran 2 - 2 1/2 years between brakes, at a cost of <$500. Go figure.

I am having the PPI today. We'll see how that works out. Then I'll hop a plane down to Houston, and drive it back.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I am feeling a LOT more comfortable now.

larry
i know.
and of all ppl, i have OCD, no, not a punchline, i HAVE OCD and i take medication for it. I WORRY A LOT. but i try very hard to stop worrying. have fun with 996. they are great machines.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Tried the no permission approach and it worked out.

Last edited by Mother; 10-11-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have experience with the 996 Targa top as an issue? Someone posted a note that I should AVOID a Targa. I loved my 73 Targa, but this ain't no '73.

larry
After 6 years of ownership (2nd owner) no issues and still love the Targa.
As a side note, my bride perfers it over a cab, but that's all personal preference.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,311 Likes on 487 Posts

If it blows up...It blows up....worrying wont make it NOT blow up. Enjoy the car, drive it hard and change the oil and do the scheduled maintainance. My 2 cents...

On another note almost sold the car the other day....but was told by the wife I can have the porsche and the subaru I want...but I have to be patient.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Which Subi do you want?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
larry47us
Pro

Default Still waiting

So, there was a mix-up at the shop, and they are still waiting for "my" 996 Targa to arrive. Spoke to the owner. He said that the IMS issues were primarily with early cars - though they have seen it with a later car or two. He said that by 2004 they had started using the double race bearing in the IMS. This was a dramatic improvement in longevity. When I replace the clutch, he said that I might want to consider changing the bearing to the LN Engineering one, but until that happens - just change the oil regularly, and drive the hell out of it.

He commented that the major cause of IMS problems is when the car sits for a long time, that acid builds up in the oil. That acid eats away at the grease in the bearing, and the grease gets replaced by the engine oil. The engine oil doesn't have the properties sufficient to keep the bearing healthy, so it starts to degrade. Then, bingo, IMS self-destruction.

He felt that 24,000 miles on a 2004 was sufficient miles to prevent the buildup of the acid in the oil, as long as the oil was changed regularly. On this -- I'm not sure, and don't know how I can confirm it. But, they talked about doing the PPI today. Then I'll see what the next step is.

BTW, there is one noticeable flaw in the car. The piece of trim around the console looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it. It is totally smashed across the top. The dealer said that it was a simple repair. I dunno, maybe or maybe not. But I expect that I'll find out. Maybe I'll call a body shop that I know to see how big an issue it is.

More later, guys.

larry
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Good luck and enjoy! The MkII 996's are phenomenal rides. ...and I really love the Targas.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

He said that by 2004 they had started using the double race bearing in the IMS.
The early cars had double race bearings, and the later cars had single race bearings, FYI.

Quick Reply: Wanna Buy a 2004 996 - Am I crazy??