996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors.. How hard can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

UPDATE: Cleaned the MAF today and also found rubber oil ring seal on inside of oil fill cap out of position. Cleared codes and went on a drive twice today and NO codes in ECU and No CEL. So it was either a dirty MAF or an air leak through the oil cap, (or both). Tah Dah!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

You should not use penetrating oil around the sensors. They won't be that tight unless they were installed incorrectly.

If you want to use penetrating oil be sure to thoroughly clean the area where you applied it to remove all traces of this stuff. If any remains it can ruin the new sensors. Applying to any old sensors ruins them even if they would have been otherwise ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You should not use penetrating oil around the sensors. They won't be that tight unless they were installed incorrectly.

If you want to use penetrating oil be sure to thoroughly clean the area where you applied it to remove all traces of this stuff. If any remains it can ruin the new sensors. Applying to any old sensors ruins them even if they would have been otherwise ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I used electronic cleaner, I use it on my circuit boards at work worth $80K a pop - safe for MAF. No residue left behind.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors.. How hard can it be?