Sponsored by:

New owner...already having failure warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
Janusz, warranty companies act like insurance companies.
With some customers, they will keep more of the paid premium than they pay out.
With some customers, they will pay more out than what they collected as premium.

They have actuaries who are basically very talented mathematicians who get paid a lot of money (I have 2 friends who are actuaries for Liberty Mutual insurance and another for State Farm that underwrites extended warranties) - and what they do is set a 'premium' and define what risks they will take on.

Warranty companies, like insurance companies - need to make money to stay in business. They are "for profit" - and not charitable / non profit organizations. That means they need to keep more premiums than they pay out.

I don't doubt your story that in your case, the warranty company paid out more than they collected from you in premiums. But I think as many here have stated, you are the exception - not the norm - and the warranty company probably keeps more $$ than they pay out because the number of customers filing claims and the amount for which they claim is far less than what they've collected in premiums.

But anyway - GOOD FOR YOU! I'm happy it worked out for you.

All you said is true except the last paragraph. Here is why:

Please understand: I expressed my belief that my warranty company loses ONLY ON 996, especially MKl. Generally on almost all car models they make a hefty profit, no doubt.

The good indicator that what I just said is true would be the fact of recent steady increases of specific premiums for 996 Porsches by my warranty carrier. They simply did not forsee how frequent and expensive water cooled Porsches repairs would be after the factory warranties expired. After all even they do not have a crystal magic ball. Porsche deals represent so miniscule percentage of their business that they did not pay a proper attention to this very segment of the business.

My opinion is somewhat informed one since I am in insurance business for the last 29 years and I am sure that a simple quick poll of aftermarket warranty users here would fully confirm what I said on this matter.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Janusz
Please understand: I expressed my belief that my warranty company loses ONLY ON 996, especially MKl.
Seriously?

I want to live in your world.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Janusz
Instructor

You do. you just dont know it.
Run the poll, show me i am wrong.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

YES!!! Another poll of self-selected enthusiasts! That will clear this all right up!

Please, someone help me remove this pistol from my mouth now.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Words of wisdom......Be-careful of who you challenge......
Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's kind of sweet how innocent you are, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

You see, when people make a multi-thousand dollar bet like this, they immediately become biased and reframe their decision based on subsequent experience. Those who made good use of the warranty will be very vocal participants. Those who did not will stay out of the discussion altogether. It's actually very difficult, even with a carefully designed sample, to get objective data when you're tracking satisfaction with a product like discretionary insurance. It's the same phenomenon that causes us to hear about winners in Vegas in far greater proportion to losers than could possibly have been the case, or that causes us to hear more stories about radar detectors saving people's asses in proportion to those that sat silent on the dashboard for months at a time. I refer you to the work of Daniel Kahneman (a Nobel winner) and Richard Thaler on the phenomenon of post-purchase reframing.

Hell, you've exposed your own bias by saying you were in the insurance business.

What Thaler would say is that the true benefit of insurance isn't economic anyway, it's emotional. Thus, the only valid research would be a study of general satisfaction of Porsche 996 owners, maybe even in two cells - one with warranties and one without - with both samples identically normalized for things like income and usage of the car, and then derive the emotional value of the warranty from responses to a battery of general questions about trust in the vehicle, anxiety about maintenance costs, and so on. I don't know how someone like Dell would approach this, but in the world of market research, this would produce a satisfactory level of confidence in the results. Whereas, only a fool would believe a voluntary survey on a topic like this.

If you'd like to mount such a study, be my guest. I can recommend some excellent research houses to field the survey for you. Expect it to run you around $50,000.

That's just over 50 IMS bearing upgrades, roughly.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Some of you guys try really hard to suck all the fun out of Porsche ownership, fortunately I am immune
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Simple question: these people who've had an aftermarket warranty for over 3 yrs and 50 K Km just state if they lost or saved money. That would be all to convince everybody without being too scientific.

Whatever. I just keep on enjoying my car for next almost 4 years carefree and then move to next one. No emotion here, just SIMPLE COMMON SENSE.

For last 30 years nobody called me innocent, even my wife. You made my day, thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Just because a Porsche is cheap to buy doesn't mean it will be cheap to own. This has always been true, all the way back to the 356. I hate to sound heartless, but I really don't see the logic in buying a car for pleasure alone, and then making yourself miserable worrying about it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the car and buy yourself something you'll love and can live with. Life is too short, and the world is full of entertaining cars that won't stress you out like this.
+1

When asked for my opinion about a sports car purchase, I often steer people to Japanese cars when they identify "reliability and low maintenance/repair costs" as their top priorities. Cars like the Mazda Miata and Honda S2000 come to mind as cars that are fun to own and, in this regard, have moderate entrance pricing whether new or used.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

**** happens.. Take it to the shop and see whats up? Unless you want to work on it yourself.. If you do.. Dig in.. If not, take it to the shop. Please dont tell me you bought a porsche and cant afford the upkeep?

Take the thing to the shop and see whats wrong with it.

Sounds like a good plan to me?

Quick Reply: New owner...already having failure warning