Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket, extended warranty thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a warranty costs about 15% and covers much of the car for 3 to 5 years you are likely to recover much of the cost and if a major failure happens you sort of win big.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 PM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you a betting man?

I'm facing a similar decision, I'm coming up to the end of my CPO and need to decide whether i should extend.

I think this decision is driving me crazier then any concern of major failure
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grantf
Thats why i was thinking about it. if the engine died in my car I wouldn't be able to afford to fix it.
A quote from this thread decided the warranty question for me:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...arranty-2.html

Originally Posted by jakermc
Missmy993 hit it on the head. Statistically speaking, buying a warranty is a losing bet. The warranty company is a for-profit venture so they are always priced for them to win (on average).

Think of a warranty as insurance, its main purpose is to avoid catastrophic loss, i.e. a MAJOR repair bill. If you can afford to 'self-insure' and are in a position that a big repair bill will not leave you in place where you are unable to fix the car (or need to liquidate college or retirement funds) go without it. Otherwise get the warranty and sleep better at night.
While I could self insure all my appliances and electronics, a major repair on this car would require me to eat a big chunk of my savings. So I committed to getting a warranty for my 04 Anniversary. Advice I gleaned from this forum was:
1) Get exclusionary policy
2) Get a warranty that my local Porsche dealership sells so they can exert leverage on reimbursement when doing warranty work.

So I got Fidelity Platinum from my local Porsche dealership for peace of mind. In contrast to many on this forum, I have not used a single penny of my warranty in 3 months of high mileage ownership. Fidelity is certainly profiting off of me for now.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sshus924
Fidelity is a better value. One Porsche dealer sells Fidelity and a 3 yr/36K is around $2,500 for the platinum. Another Porsche dealer sells EasyCare and charges $3,500 for the same coverage! Fidelity is $100 deductible and EasyCare is $250 deductible... AND Easycare requires the dealer to do a pre-inspection check for $450!! Big difference.
I'm blown away by how cheap these warranties are, considering the age of the cars and the relatively high cost of parts and service for them. More than any amount of polling, this tells you a lot about how reliable the silent majority of 996s really are.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket, extended warranty thoughts?