Sponsored by:

Street Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Street Alignment

So I blew a rear tire the other day, a 315 25 r19 toyo t1r on an 11 inch wheel. I believe it had 19k miles on it and was like new except the corded inner 2 inches. The fronts are like new.

I don't need all that tire, so for replacements I went with a set of 295/30s (hankook ventus v12 evo k110s which were very well review, I bought two rears for less than the price of one of my current tires and way less than the price of one of my old pilots)

I know the alignment is due, and I want to take the opportunity to get those rear tires to lay a little flatter. Of course the fronts will need a little tweaking as well to keep the car predictable.

I am looking for recommendations. My car is really now 100% street daily driver on a stock suspension, so I don't need to be set up insane corner exit speeds, but I also don't want to create dangerous or unpredictable handling. I want to improve rear tire wear and if I can get the handling a bit more neutral that would be great. I have 8.5 inch front wheels with 235s and 11 inch rears with now 295s. Camber / toe recommendations (f/r) ? I am going to call rick deman today and see if he can do in house and recommendations so I wll post back if I hear anything good

- Hans
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Hans. I just went through the same thing last week and posted here for advice. My rear tires were corded on the inside after less than 5,000 miles. My negative camber in the back was 2.4. I had it set back to stock (.08) and it felt squirrley in the rear. After getting the advice from the experts here, I went with 1.8 degrees of negative camber on the back and about 2.0 on the front. It handles perfect now.
If you search my user name and "excessive tire wear", you will see the advice that I received. I have the PSS9 suspension and 225/295 tires.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
If you search my user name and "excessive tire wear", you will see the advice that I received. I have the PSS9 suspension and 225/295 tires.
Clicky.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOW THAT WAS A QUICK ANSWER!!! under 10min....
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Hi Hans. I just went through the same thing last week and posted here for advice. My rear tires were corded on the inside after less than 5,000 miles. My negative camber in the back was 2.4. I had it set back to stock (.08) and it felt squirrley in the rear. After getting the advice from the experts here, I went with 1.8 degrees of negative camber on the back and about 2.0 on the front. It handles perfect now.
Mark thanks for that.

How wide are your kinesis rears 10 or 11?

What did you do about toe?

Originally Posted by himself
Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Hi Hans,

I will be in for only a few hours today...heading to NJMP for tomorrow...

Of course we can do that "in house"..... See ya soon..

Rick

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Hi Hans,

I will be in for only a few hours today...heading to NJMP for tomorrow...

Of course we can do that "in house"..... See ya soon..

Rick
Hey Rick,

I am waiting on tires (ups says out for delivery) but I might miss you guys if they don't get here in time. Worst case I'll find someone to mount the tires and i'll bring it around for alignment next week

Hans
Old 08-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hans, you are welcome. My rear wheels are 10.5 wide (oddball size ordered by previous owner of wheels). I left my toe settings stock.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I went through an alignment process in the spring with a local shop which does a lot of race car prep.

Initially the car was too low and super twitchy on the street. I had it redone and it is now handles beautifully when driving "normally" on Hankook street tyres and when driving antisocially on Yoko 032R DOT comp tyres.

I'm on 225/285 on 8x18 and 11x18 wheels with PSS9 set to 5 front and 7 rear. It is really a nice setup.

Alignment specs are:

Front:
Caster = 8.6 degrees
Camber = -1.3 degrees
Toe = 1.2 (2.5 total)

Rear
Camber = -2.1 degrees
Toe = 1.8 (3.6 total)

11,000 kilometres in 4 months on the Hankooks and I can detect no wear to speak of.

Hope that helps as a reference point.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Hans, you are welcome. My rear wheels are 10.5 wide (oddball size ordered by previous owner of wheels). I left my toe settings stock.
Originally Posted by jasper
I went through an alignment process in the spring with a local shop which does a lot of race car prep.

Initially the car was too low and super twitchy on the street. I had it redone and it is now handles beautifully when driving "normally" on Hankook street tyres and when driving antisocially on Yoko 032R DOT comp tyres.

I'm on 225/285 on 8x18 and 11x18 wheels with PSS9 set to 5 front and 7 rear. It is really a nice setup.

Alignment specs are:

Front:
Caster = 8.6 degrees
Camber = -1.3 degrees
Toe = 1.2 (2.5 total)

Rear
Camber = -2.1 degrees
Toe = 1.8 (3.6 total)

11,000 kilometres in 4 months on the Hankooks and I can detect no wear to speak of.

Hope that helps as a reference point.
mark, jasper thanks for all the specs.

I've definitely got a lot of toe out on the passenger rear, might just have a look at the tie rod back there ( it is just a tie rod back there for toe right?)

I'm away this weekend and missed rick's team, so will align hopefully next week or the week following and report back
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock toe link has a lot of rubber in it and can get out of adjustment fairly easily. I'd opt for aftermarket rear toe links like this one:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

I also have the locking plates to make sure it never moves again. Mind you, my car is used for 99% track usage and I hate the idea of rubber squishing around back there.

These may be overkill for the street, but if your eccentric bolt and toe links are a bit worn or really bumpy roads are causing your toe to slip, then this upgrade may pay for itself in a few years. Talk to Rick and see if it makes sense for your situation. He knows what he's doing.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Street Alignment