Sponsored by:

remote entry

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
lazydays77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote entry

Mine stopped working yesterday. The 2nd key I got when I bought her never workedl. I hoped teh quick and cheap route of replacing the battery would work and not luck. The red led still flashes on the key but no locking action. I searched thru here and got a never ending stream of possible fixes from turning the battery upside down for 10 seconds then flipping it back OR turning the key in teh door lock 5 times from lock to unlock (both sound eerily reminiscent of getting a game to work in the original nintendo) to a flat out new key.

It is an '01 and the keys are original, I know nothing lasts forever....I guess my question is am I just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for a new one or just deal with it and use the key in the lock?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FCC probably sold the bandwidth to somebody. A lot of people in the recent year have fallen to the same problem. It's german so the band alocation probably isn't the same.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM
papachili
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pac996
FCC probably sold the bandwidth to somebody. A lot of people in the recent year have fallen to the same problem. It's german so the band alocation probably isn't the same.
Ok...I'll bite...REALLY?! My remote does not work either. The thought of the FCC just selling the band to someone, causing me to spend $250 for a new remote/programming sounds an tad bit wrong!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
papachili
Advanced

Originally Posted by lazydays77
Mine stopped working yesterday. The 2nd key I got when I bought her never workedl. I hoped teh quick and cheap route of replacing the battery would work and not luck. The red led still flashes on the key but no locking action. I searched thru here and got a never ending stream of possible fixes from turning the battery upside down for 10 seconds then flipping it back OR turning the key in teh door lock 5 times from lock to unlock (both sound eerily reminiscent of getting a game to work in the original nintendo) to a flat out new key.

It is an '01 and the keys are original, I know nothing lasts forever....I guess my question is am I just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for a new one or just deal with it and use the key in the lock?
I've been suffering with no remote for a couple months...Only issue is not being able to unlock/open door for the wife and/or kids. Walking to the drivers side, turning ignition on so alarm doesnt go off in 10 seconds...reaching over to pull door handle to let wife/kids in...lol not too graceful. Guess I will have to step up and spend the $250 for a new remote/programming.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Some autozones have a little test center (they want to sell you new batteries) where it will it will show if the key is transmitting. I would start there. If it shows your key is at least transmitting then I would be going to the dealer to see if they can reprogram it. ONLY the dealer can do this.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Your "Transponder" is probably Dead you can buy a new Fob here http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=996keys and have it Programmed by your Local Dealer for about 30 min Labour, it happend to me...

You just need to Switch your Key Blade into the New Fob... And if you do end up buying the FOB from someone else MAKE SURE you get the BAR CODE TAG with it, without it the dealer wont be able to Program it and you will be **** out of luck there lols :P

Good Luck
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by papachili
I've been suffering with no remote for a couple months...Only issue is not being able to unlock/open door for the wife and/or kids. Walking to the drivers side, turning ignition on so alarm doesnt go off in 10 seconds...reaching over to pull door handle to let wife/kids in...lol not too graceful. Guess I will have to step up and spend the $250 for a new remote/programming.
You may have another problem... When I use the key in the driver's door, it unlocks the other door, too.

I have a hunch that the receiving unit (which is over $1,000) tends to die...

I'm in the same boat as many. The key's remote used to work unlocking the car, then it got a little funky, then suddenly stopped. Same problem with both keys. New batteries didn't help. For the last year I've just unlocked the car the old fashioned way.

Quick Reply: remote entry